Original topic:

No longer have the feature to change the default Gallery app on the S24?

(Topic created: 04-25-2024 02:37 PM)
userlp85n6dggW
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S24

I used to have an S22, and S23 and both of them would allow you to change the default Gallery app. However the S24 won't. And before anyone tries linking to any generic support article on how to change default apps, The S24 DOES NOT have that menu option.

The closes thing I can do is install other 3rd party gallery apps, and then if I use File Browser to open a photo, it will ask me which app to use to open photos, and I can select a 3rd party and and even select to use that every time, HOWEVER that only changes what app opens, when selecting a photo from the file browser.

There are other "open a photo" functions that you can't change what the default app is. The most annoying is from within the camera app, if you take a photo, then tap on the tiny preview image in the corner, it will ALWAYS open in the Samsung Gallery app, and never asks which app to use.

You also can't disable or remove the Samsung gallery app. the best I can do is remove all the permissions from the app, so now instead of it opening an app I don;t like or want to use, it will just pop up a message asking me to give the Samsung gallery app permissions again, which just acts as a reminder that I have to manually open the photo in the correct app.

WHY WOULD SAMSUNG REMOVE SUCH A BASIC FEATURE? I am surprised no one has opened a class action law suit or tried to sue them for anti monopoly laws for forcing their gallery app on people without giving an option to change it.

18 Replies
userEeevLBO7qp
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S24
Samsung you need to fix this pay over $1000 for a phone fix it
realaud
Honored Contributor
Options
Galaxy S24

No they don't have to fix it.  They have an app, you choose not to use it. And, you chose to spend $1k for a phone.

0 Likes
Midnightshade
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S24
You don't understand the issue. Samsung auto optimizes the photos makes them super bright. When you open up the Samsung gallery app from the camera it does this for all 50mp and 200mp photos. Opening up in any other gallery app it doesn't change the photo brightness. So since Samsung doesn't give you the option to turn this off(it only works to turn it off in 12mp mode) then they also don't let you change the camera gallery app, your photos at that mp are ruined. As once it optimizes you lost the original photo.
0 Likes
realaud
Honored Contributor
Options
Galaxy S24
My photos are fine, so J guess I really don't understand what you are all on about.
0 Likes
Lucky0507
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S24
I just got my first Samsung phone and HATE Gallery. I can no longer share photos from Google Photos on social media. I also pay for storage on Google. There is no way in heck I am moving 35k photos to Gallery and paying storage there too. Seriously considering returning the phone over it. Have disabled Gallery to no avail. Trying to find a way to uninstall Gallery as well.
0 Likes
realaud
Honored Contributor
Options
Galaxy S24

Sure you can share, just open the Google photos app, click your photo, click share, choose your social media.

0 Likes
Pancras
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S24

I removed samsung Gallery permission to access my photos, will it stop the nagging "stofies" notifications? There's no wag I can delete the app. I was warned when I bought a samsung, will stick to a moto in the future

0 Likes
realaud
Honored Contributor
Options
Galaxy S24

If you want the stories to not be made automatically and also not notify you, go to the gallery settings (go into gallery, select the three-line menu at the bottom right, select settings) and turn off customization service. and turn off notifications.

0 Likes
Skinmech70
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S24

Well luckily I am on O2 Switch Up so I'll be swapping my Samsung phone after 90 days to a Google pixle the Samsung ecosystem is useless and as an android phone you should be able to choose. There are some improvements since I last had a Samsung phone such as the naff bixby isn't forced on you like it used to be. You should get the choice though so you can gain access to Google photos from any app when uploading photos instead of spending 5 mins to move photos around just to upload from the app to give you more options rather than the naff share option in Samsung gallery

0 Likes