Original topic:

S24 Display Quality & AOD Missing Options

(Topic created: 01-25-2024 07:28 PM)
Locoblade
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S24

Hi All

I've just got my S24+ today to upgrade my trusty but ageing S10+ having not strayed from Samsung for almost 10 years. Naturally I was hoping it would be an upgrade in all departments but although on the whole it is, there's several annoying and unexpected downgrades that are making me seriously question whether it's actually worth spending quite a bit of money to change.

Firstly, the screen although pin sharp is really washed out. Even in vivid mode the colours are dull and the blacks are significantly more grey than the S10 screen, and even look washed out when put alongside my wife's budget spec A52! I've played around with brightness and colour tone etc but I can't dial it out, and my cousin who's got an S24 Ultra said exactly the same when comparing it against the S22 it's replacing.

Then there's some bizarre features missing from OneUI 6.1, the ones I've noticed so far are specifically in the Always On Display settings.  I use AOD to display as a bedside clock,  with my S10 and also in OneUI 6.0 / Android 14 on the A52 you can rotate the AOD to landscape orientation and control the brightness, you could even do the latter from the AOD lock screen by tapping twice on the clock to access the brightness slider. In OneUI 6.1 unless I'm missing something it seems all that functionality is missing, the brightness of the AOD is linked to the main screen brightness setting which is far too bright for overnight use, and you can't set it to landscape mode which I'd prefer when on it's horizontal night stand next to the bed. Why this functionality would be omitted I have no idea, but it's really annoying! Please someone enlighten me to some hidden menu somewhere that fixes all these issues?! šŸ™‚

3,236 Replies
KSK
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S24

Seems to be a issue with smart switch, I reset the phone and set it up from scratch, display is much better

0 Likes
userJphoJL5JS2
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S24
it was proven its not smart switch already by many people on reddit they setup their phone without smart switch and same problem. it's samsungs software and it needs to be fixed asap
Summest
Comet
Options
Galaxy S24

That is funny, technically. šŸ˜€

Summest
S24 and S21.
0 Likes
Locoblade
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S24

Has anyone else played around with turning Colour Correction on and off particularly from the quick menu because I'm sure my screen colour has improved quite markedly after I played around with that? Here's what I did so worth a try....

• Swipe down twice and click the pencil to edit the Quick Settings
  • Edit either the "Top" or "Full" views and add the "Colour Correction" button.
  • Save the settings and then activate Colour Correction icon from the quick menu, the screen should turn a slightly odd colour.
  • Once it's done that swipe down and select Colour Correction again to turn it off

I noticed the colours looked more vivid when I returned to the home screen but thought I was imagining it at first so I powered up my S10 to put it side by side with the same home screen and it now looks pretty much indistinguishable in colours and blacks which certainly wasn't the case yesterday. No promises though, my cousin tried the same on his S24 Ultra and doesn't think it's made a difference. Very odd.

user11ddSGS2F5
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S24
Well done.huge improvement
0 Likes
Kyle0505
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S24
It didn't improve at all. I put my old phone s23 ultra side by side with new phone s24 plus to compare, clearly the color of s24 plus is washed out a lot.
Ace2311
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S24
That didn't fix anything. That did absolutely nothing on this 24 ultra.
0 Likes
Nomad_24U
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S24

I received my S24 Ultra today and immediately noticed a significant difference in the display quality compared to my previous S20. The colors appear washed out and lack the vibrancy and richness that I am accustomed to. I have attempted various display settings, including enabling WQHD+ resolution, activating adaptive tone, and adjusting the screen mode to vivid with maximum warmth, but none of these adjustments have resolved the issue. Additionally, I have tried replicating the exact display settings from my S20, but this has also failed to produce any improvement.

I am concerned that this display issue may be a widespread problem affecting other users of the S24 Ultra. If the situation does not improve within the next week, I will unfortunately have to consider returning the device due to the significant downgrade in display quality.

users5VWt9pnQs
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S24

Worldwide problem. Everyone is talking about it.

The S24 ultra display is very washed out.. Less vibrant... Less saturated.. Less contrast compared to s23 ultra and previous devices. Even the brightness at full (without going into sunlight) is very dull.
The display is a huge downgrade. Eveything just looks very dull and washed out. It doesn't pop... There is no punch to the colours. 

Vivid and natural screen mode look identical.

Samsung mentioned they used a dynamic amoled display like they do in their other flagship devices.. . But this looks like a very muted.. Toned down LED display. IT just looks flat and boring. Can't believe what they have done.

KSK
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S24

Seems to be smart switch, I reset the phone and set it up from scratch, display is much better