Original topic:

S24 Display Quality & AOD Missing Options

(Topic created: 01-26-2024 03:04 AM)
Locoblade
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S24

Hi All

I've just got my S24+ today to upgrade my trusty but ageing S10+ having not strayed from Samsung for almost 10 years. Naturally I was hoping it would be an upgrade in all departments but although on the whole it is, there's several annoying and unexpected downgrades that are making me seriously question whether it's actually worth spending quite a bit of money to change.

Firstly, the screen although pin sharp is really washed out. Even in vivid mode the colours are dull and the blacks are significantly more grey than the S10 screen, and even look washed out when put alongside my wife's budget spec A52! I've played around with brightness and colour tone etc but I can't dial it out, and my cousin who's got an S24 Ultra said exactly the same when comparing it against the S22 it's replacing.

Then there's some bizarre features missing from OneUI 6.1, the ones I've noticed so far are specifically in the Always On Display settings.  I use AOD to display as a bedside clock,  with my S10 and also in OneUI 6.0 / Android 14 on the A52 you can rotate the AOD to landscape orientation and control the brightness, you could even do the latter from the AOD lock screen by tapping twice on the clock to access the brightness slider. In OneUI 6.1 unless I'm missing something it seems all that functionality is missing, the brightness of the AOD is linked to the main screen brightness setting which is far too bright for overnight use, and you can't set it to landscape mode which I'd prefer when on it's horizontal night stand next to the bed. Why this functionality would be omitted I have no idea, but it's really annoying! Please someone enlighten me to some hidden menu somewhere that fixes all these issues?! šŸ™‚

3,236 Replies
RAHIM7
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S24

Hi everyone,

I am experiencing an issue with my new Samsung S24 Ultra phone. The brightness level on this phone is not the same as my previous S23 Ultra. I contacted Samsung support and they remotely checked my phone. They confirmed that there is an issue with the S24 Ultra's brightness level. I have decided to return the phone and keep using my S23 Ultra as I am not satisfied with the upgrade. I am disappointed with the performance of the new phone, and I believe that Samsung can do better with their new phone line.

Thanks,

Rahim

Thank you.

Hydrobud
Halo
Options
Galaxy S24
It's not even released yet. There's going to be bugs right in the beginning, like all products
0 Likes
Popmaster109
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S24

My S24 is the same my old S21 ultra has richer deeper colours and is actually brighter when watching videos 

0 Likes
userItf03h1BAN
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S24

Day 3 of S24 UltraIssues I found so far :

1. The colors are not vivid even in vivid mode my S10+ displays much better colors
  2. The brightness is comparable to my s10+.
  3. The App Icons on AOD are monochrome which used to be colored (my guess is they made it monochrome since they allow wallpaper on AOD [Thanks Apple]) I hate it, and they do not give any option to make it colored even though you aren't using an AOD wallpaper. There is a 3rd party App called - AOD Notifiy which is a workaround but I didn't pay $1565 to use 3rd party apps which were before part of the OS.
  4. There is a 1-2 Seconds delay, turning on the speaker during calls.
  5. They cheaped out on not providing a basic screen film for a FLASHSHIP phone out of the box, my S10+ came pre-applied.
  6. The battery life so far hasn't been great. (PS - I use greenify which kills 90% of my selected apps that are not in use) so it's not worth the overpriced money that Samsung demands.
  7. Also, the AI features are only free till Dec 2025, I am pretty sure they are going to ask the users who have already overpaid for this "FLASHSHIP" phone to pay a subscription. 
0 Likes
Options
Galaxy S24
I don't have an s24 but i saw a video of flossy carter disliking the AOD on the s24s. i do hope @userKHUJBda323fv fixes the aod no reason to mess with that
drvinayakpatil
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S24

Same problem on s24 ultra. I upgraded from s22 ultra . S24 ultra color washed out. S22 ultra display was better

0 Likes
cchu88
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S24

My husband recently upgraded me from an s21+ to s24+ and as amazing as I do think the new camera is, the screen colours are very disappointing..

As others have said, the blacks are not black and the colours are completely washed out.  When I did a side by side comparison of the same photo with the s21, it wasn't even comparable.  There's some type of sepia/yellow hue on the s24 whereas the s21 is super vibrant.

I really hope it is a software issue because I would hate to return the phone.  I just don't know how Samsung would think that this was even acceptable to launch.

userJphoJL5JS2
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S24
I completely agree, I'm giving samsung the benefit of the doubt and hoping a day 1 patch will fix this on either Jan 31st or Feb 1st as that's the official release date. If this issue still not fixed I'm returning and sticking with my s21u
0 Likes
Elyb
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S24

Same here, upgraded from s21 plus to s24 plus and same problem. I was expecting an upgrade, not downgrade in screen quality. 

thomaspetrovic
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S24

I went on a chat to Samsung and they have said to report any problems in the Samsung members app, support tab, send feedback error reports.