Original topic:

S24 Display Quality & AOD Missing Options

(Topic created: 01-27-2024 02:16 PM)
Locoblade
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S24

Hi All

I've just got my S24+ today to upgrade my trusty but ageing S10+ having not strayed from Samsung for almost 10 years. Naturally I was hoping it would be an upgrade in all departments but although on the whole it is, there's several annoying and unexpected downgrades that are making me seriously question whether it's actually worth spending quite a bit of money to change.

Firstly, the screen although pin sharp is really washed out. Even in vivid mode the colours are dull and the blacks are significantly more grey than the S10 screen, and even look washed out when put alongside my wife's budget spec A52! I've played around with brightness and colour tone etc but I can't dial it out, and my cousin who's got an S24 Ultra said exactly the same when comparing it against the S22 it's replacing.

Then there's some bizarre features missing from OneUI 6.1, the ones I've noticed so far are specifically in the Always On Display settings.  I use AOD to display as a bedside clock,  with my S10 and also in OneUI 6.0 / Android 14 on the A52 you can rotate the AOD to landscape orientation and control the brightness, you could even do the latter from the AOD lock screen by tapping twice on the clock to access the brightness slider. In OneUI 6.1 unless I'm missing something it seems all that functionality is missing, the brightness of the AOD is linked to the main screen brightness setting which is far too bright for overnight use, and you can't set it to landscape mode which I'd prefer when on it's horizontal night stand next to the bed. Why this functionality would be omitted I have no idea, but it's really annoying! Please someone enlighten me to some hidden menu somewhere that fixes all these issues?! šŸ™‚

3,236 Replies
Rachit
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S24
It's missing for me too
0 Likes
j4liferob
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S24
I pre- ordered my s24 ultra on the 17th and got my phone on the 26th, was going through my always on display, and have the same issue, you can't change any setting for the always on display, only able to turn it on and off
0 Likes
reynhartono
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S24

I spent hours just for changing the clock style. Can't find the documentation or guide anywhere. 

Anyway, turns out this "Clock style" menu has been moved to the "Edit lock screen" setting. It can be accessed via "Settings" -> "Lock screen and AOD" -> then scroll down to "Edit Lock screen"
(the text in blue). 

Or you can just enable the "Touch and hold to edit" setting in the "Lock screen and AOD" menu, then the setting can be accessed by long-pressing on the lock screen.

0 Likes
Nomad_24U
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S24

I agree, to get similar results as my S20, I tried these and it got way better.

Change display settings to wqhd, mode to vivid and max warm and then from drop down menu on home screen (not setting) click on brightness 3 dots and turn on adaptive color tone (under adaptive brightness)

Let me know how it worked. 

usertfFtIoTSN7
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S24

This made a big difference on my S24 Ultra. Looks like my Z Fold 3 did now 

0 Likes
juantjie
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S24

It sounds like a software issue, with the display set not to display full bit depth range. Will most likely be fixed with the next software update (after the phone is officially released).

Pafid007
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S24

Was it not officially released? ! What are you writing about? Galaxy unpacked was the event that officially released phones. The moment you get a phone from a shop is a completely different thing. 

0 Likes
Hama1
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S24

I'm so upset about this "upgrade". Last year I upgraded from S22 Ultra to S23, and I was shocked when I saw the screen colours difference between the S22 and S23, the S23 looked so washed out in comparison with S22.

This year, I bought the S24 Ultra hoping Samsung might have fixed the issue, but to my sad surprise, the S24 ultra is much more washed out in comparison with S23, and if I compare it with the S22 ultra (which is my son's phone now) the colour difference is day and night!!! Although the S22 ultra is being used since 2 years now and should be loosing some of its brightness. The disaster is that nobody talks about the issue, all youtubers are so amazed about this phone and it's "fantastic" screen. I will wait a few days, and if Samsung doesn't fix the issue I will return the phone and stick to my S23.

userWtQ8TO9aTG
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S24
Exactly what I just did. I returned the S24 today.
Options
Galaxy S24
Me too..