Original topic:

S24 Display Quality & AOD Missing Options

(Topic created: 01-28-2024 10:14 AM)
Locoblade
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S24

Hi All

I've just got my S24+ today to upgrade my trusty but ageing S10+ having not strayed from Samsung for almost 10 years. Naturally I was hoping it would be an upgrade in all departments but although on the whole it is, there's several annoying and unexpected downgrades that are making me seriously question whether it's actually worth spending quite a bit of money to change.

Firstly, the screen although pin sharp is really washed out. Even in vivid mode the colours are dull and the blacks are significantly more grey than the S10 screen, and even look washed out when put alongside my wife's budget spec A52! I've played around with brightness and colour tone etc but I can't dial it out, and my cousin who's got an S24 Ultra said exactly the same when comparing it against the S22 it's replacing.

Then there's some bizarre features missing from OneUI 6.1, the ones I've noticed so far are specifically in the Always On Display settings.  I use AOD to display as a bedside clock,  with my S10 and also in OneUI 6.0 / Android 14 on the A52 you can rotate the AOD to landscape orientation and control the brightness, you could even do the latter from the AOD lock screen by tapping twice on the clock to access the brightness slider. In OneUI 6.1 unless I'm missing something it seems all that functionality is missing, the brightness of the AOD is linked to the main screen brightness setting which is far too bright for overnight use, and you can't set it to landscape mode which I'd prefer when on it's horizontal night stand next to the bed. Why this functionality would be omitted I have no idea, but it's really annoying! Please someone enlighten me to some hidden menu somewhere that fixes all these issues?! šŸ™‚

3,236 Replies
GMOlive
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S24
Same here. Compared to the s23 ultra, the s24 ultra looks like it has a Grey overlay over everything.
BrettM
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S24

Same thoughts.. Really disappointed. Expected it to just pop but it doesn't. I haven't had earlier S phones  as now on fold 5 but sounds very poor compared to earlier phones which is a joke. Already out of pocket as fitted expensive screen protector and case. Went with brand loyalty as nearly wanted to try an honor fold! šŸ˜• Might return too. UK based.

PJ55555
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S24

I have two pictures, one is the s24 plus (left) on vivid next to my base s23 on natural the pinwheel is the same color on both phones, the other picture shows the phones at an angle this was to make the dim haze on the s24 plus (left) clearly visible side by side with the s23. The S24 plus needs a fix before the 2 werk return period is over please.

https://imgur.com/a/6v9TDZs 

boga94
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S24

I share the same sentiment. While I greatly appreciate the other aspects of the device, I sincerely hope that this issue is resolved promptly, as it appears to be affecting a significant number of users. Notably, three of my friends who also purchased this phone have encountered the same exact problem. Samsung, if you are reading this, please consider adding an extra-vivid screen mode via an OTA update. Thank you for your attention to this matter.

# Galaxy AI was used to generate this ā¤ļø

yellow7080
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S24
Same color issues on the S24 Plus.
userFGZpPHvBco
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S24

I thought I was going crazy, but my Note 20 Ultra is way more saturated and has more pop then my S24 Ultra. Even with Eye comfort shield disabled it's still not close.

phdwarrior
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S24
I am experiencing some screen issues. E.g. while typing, I suddenly receive a prompt from Google assistant. I have to repeatedly press certain keys on keyboard. There seems to be touch screen issues. Then camera seems extreme dull. **bleep**. That's the main reason I bought it. When I point at anything and try to capture a photo, photo looks extremely dull. I am returning this phone next week.
DanyBoii
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S24

They told me it's gonna be fixed in a update coming up,hope it will

DanyBoii
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S24

1000002531.jpg

ā€ƒ

Boomslang
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S24
It better be soon. People have to decide to keep or return along with trading in their previous devices. 2-4 weeks or less.
0 Likes