Original topic:

S24 Display Quality & AOD Missing Options

(Topic created: 02-01-2024 07:17 AM)
Locoblade
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S24

Hi All

I've just got my S24+ today to upgrade my trusty but ageing S10+ having not strayed from Samsung for almost 10 years. Naturally I was hoping it would be an upgrade in all departments but although on the whole it is, there's several annoying and unexpected downgrades that are making me seriously question whether it's actually worth spending quite a bit of money to change.

Firstly, the screen although pin sharp is really washed out. Even in vivid mode the colours are dull and the blacks are significantly more grey than the S10 screen, and even look washed out when put alongside my wife's budget spec A52! I've played around with brightness and colour tone etc but I can't dial it out, and my cousin who's got an S24 Ultra said exactly the same when comparing it against the S22 it's replacing.

Then there's some bizarre features missing from OneUI 6.1, the ones I've noticed so far are specifically in the Always On Display settings.  I use AOD to display as a bedside clock,  with my S10 and also in OneUI 6.0 / Android 14 on the A52 you can rotate the AOD to landscape orientation and control the brightness, you could even do the latter from the AOD lock screen by tapping twice on the clock to access the brightness slider. In OneUI 6.1 unless I'm missing something it seems all that functionality is missing, the brightness of the AOD is linked to the main screen brightness setting which is far too bright for overnight use, and you can't set it to landscape mode which I'd prefer when on it's horizontal night stand next to the bed. Why this functionality would be omitted I have no idea, but it's really annoying! Please someone enlighten me to some hidden menu somewhere that fixes all these issues?! šŸ™‚

3,243 Replies
Options
Galaxy S24

I'm so confused at this point. I keep hearing conflicting information that is going to be fixed and it's not going to be fixed. I just want a clear answer from Samsung. There's obviously an issue with the vivid mode on the S24 Ultra. It hardly makes any difference on the S24 Ultra when you change modes but on the S23 Ultra the difference is day and night. We just want these display issues fixed. I'm returning mine if it's not fixed before the return period.

Jskinvest
Galaxy
Options
Galaxy S24

@Samsbum  I am also sceptical until Samsung releases an official statement.

userckKy0yBNPJ
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S24

This issue is marked as solved?  My Galaxy S10's display is so much better than my S24 Ultra's.  The display on the S24 Ultra in Vivid mode appears muddy, by comparison.  I played with the other filters, as directed by tech support at VZW.  Ultimately, she admitted that she has taken many calls related to this matter and it remains unsolved.  If a software update doesn't correct it in short order, it's going back to VZW.  For those with VZW, they will waive the re-stocking fee, etc., and will apply the trade-in value that you agreed to in order to obtain the S24.  Be sure to ask for the case number.  I'm giving it a few days then, I suppose, I'll switch to a Pixel?  Any other recommendations?

userAsNMpEhLlk
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S24

If you can, go to your local carrier store. Check out Motorola, Pixel and Apple and if they have them, Sony Xperia. I'm leaning towards Apple at this point, the cameras are terrific and my whole family uses them except me, as I hate their lockdown/filesystem management. However, the Apple displays are actually nicer than this (we have the 13 Pro and 15 Pro and a plain 11.) Will be fighting with tmo today on waiving the restock fee on the return or taking them to small claims court if they charge me it for a defective product, which is what I consider the S24U to be.

Galaxy Knight
Galaxy
Options
Galaxy S24

Small claims court for a restocking fee? How much is the fee? 

Also, how is it a defective product? Did Samsung promise specific color values for their screens? šŸ¤” 

0 Likes
Erjbrg
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S24

I agree and will be doing the same 

0 Likes
userAsNMpEhLlk
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S24

lol, t-mobile has decided to only use positive reviews from Samsung regarding this phone from their website.

0 Likes
Options
Galaxy S24
Has Samsung updated the S24s yet to fix these issues?
0 Likes
Jskinvest
Galaxy
Options
Galaxy S24
I am hoping they fix this by tomorrow. That way I can finally open my s24 plus box and set it up. If it's not fixed within 2 weeks mine is going back
0 Likes
Hydrobud
Halo
Options
Galaxy S24
Samsung community manager Justin said that the display has been carefully tuned and basically that it's intended to be this way. It's such a shame when you can compare it to your old device and especially people like me that use a tablet as well it's extremely noticeable when switching between devices. From the way it sounds Don't expect anything to be changed with the display from the next update. They are also deleting a lot of posts about the display issues from the Samsung members forms. This may be deleted as well but I would return your phone and not expect an update if you don't like the display look.