Original topic:

S24 Display Quality & AOD Missing Options

(Topic created: 02-14-2024 05:51 AM)
Locoblade
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S24

Hi All

I've just got my S24+ today to upgrade my trusty but ageing S10+ having not strayed from Samsung for almost 10 years. Naturally I was hoping it would be an upgrade in all departments but although on the whole it is, there's several annoying and unexpected downgrades that are making me seriously question whether it's actually worth spending quite a bit of money to change.

Firstly, the screen although pin sharp is really washed out. Even in vivid mode the colours are dull and the blacks are significantly more grey than the S10 screen, and even look washed out when put alongside my wife's budget spec A52! I've played around with brightness and colour tone etc but I can't dial it out, and my cousin who's got an S24 Ultra said exactly the same when comparing it against the S22 it's replacing.

Then there's some bizarre features missing from OneUI 6.1, the ones I've noticed so far are specifically in the Always On Display settings.  I use AOD to display as a bedside clock,  with my S10 and also in OneUI 6.0 / Android 14 on the A52 you can rotate the AOD to landscape orientation and control the brightness, you could even do the latter from the AOD lock screen by tapping twice on the clock to access the brightness slider. In OneUI 6.1 unless I'm missing something it seems all that functionality is missing, the brightness of the AOD is linked to the main screen brightness setting which is far too bright for overnight use, and you can't set it to landscape mode which I'd prefer when on it's horizontal night stand next to the bed. Why this functionality would be omitted I have no idea, but it's really annoying! Please someone enlighten me to some hidden menu somewhere that fixes all these issues?! šŸ™‚

3,240 Replies
Jskinvest
Galaxy
Options
Galaxy S24

Official!!!

djjaeger82
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S24

Finally the official response.  Looking forward to the update and testing again with the microscope to check the sub-pixel illumination under single R G or B color screen tests.

Galaxy Knight
Galaxy
Options
Galaxy S24

Love to see it! I knew Ice Universe would be right. He wouldn't have put the line in about buy with confidence if he didn't have a solid source for this one.

Now to watch all the people who returned the phone to scramble back to buy it again lol. 

rohitghali
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S24

That doesn't solve the graininess issue. What's the solution for grainy screens?

0 Likes
Wesleyjazz
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S24

Guys, now that we have an official statement from Samsung that the quality of the screen and the camera will be corrected, we have to start charging the resolution of the inconsistencies in the performance of the processor that is very bad in the entire S24 line. Do the test with the (CPU acceleration) and you will see that the performance is far below acceptable. Let's charge!! 

Wesleyjazz
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S24

Here is the official statement!

https://news.samsung.com/global/samsung-announces-galaxy-s24-series-update-offering-galaxy-users-mor...

But we cannot fail to charge the performance improvements of the system/processor. We have to keep charging. 

Davecon11
Halo
Options
Galaxy S24

define this please.............But we cannot fail to charge the performance improvements of the system/processor. We have to keep charging. 

David Conger
0 Likes
Brho0m13
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S24

The problem is even in Natural mode here compared to the iPhone.For this reason it will not correct color in Natural mode The update does not fix Gamma in Natural mode I have to use the iPhone 15 pro max for content. After that problem, I bought an iPhone 14 years after the S4.

The problem is not related to vivid mode only and they fix vivid mode only

1000055208.jpg

ā€ƒ

1000055209.jpg

ā€ƒ

0 Likes
Brho0m13
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S24

Also, the brightness of the iPhone is better when the automatic Brightness is disabled in settings Facilitation of use for years it was better, but I was patient because they improve the brightness.

The iPhone is the one above, Samsung has to offer you more than that

I will go back to Galaxy when they fix the saturation problem in Natural mode. I hope then the brightness will be higher or when the performance of my device changes, such as burning pixels and changing color temperature.

ā€ƒ

ā€ƒ

1000055210.jpg

1000055211.jpg

ā€ƒ

1000055212.jpg

1000055213.jpg

ā€ƒ

1000055214.jpg

ā€ƒā€ƒā€ƒ

ā€ƒā€ƒ

t5jabroni
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S24
Well it looks like Samsung heard us and listened! This seems to be a great solution. I waited to the last minute to trade in my s23 plus and decide whether to return my s24 ultra but in the end kept it and gambled Samsung would do the right thing with an update.. .looks like it paid off. So those on the fence on whether to buy the s24 series. .Hopefully this is helps your decision.