Original topic:

S24 Display Quality & AOD Missing Options

(Topic created: 07-20-2024 05:20 AM)
Locoblade
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S24

Hi All

I've just got my S24+ today to upgrade my trusty but ageing S10+ having not strayed from Samsung for almost 10 years. Naturally I was hoping it would be an upgrade in all departments but although on the whole it is, there's several annoying and unexpected downgrades that are making me seriously question whether it's actually worth spending quite a bit of money to change.

Firstly, the screen although pin sharp is really washed out. Even in vivid mode the colours are dull and the blacks are significantly more grey than the S10 screen, and even look washed out when put alongside my wife's budget spec A52! I've played around with brightness and colour tone etc but I can't dial it out, and my cousin who's got an S24 Ultra said exactly the same when comparing it against the S22 it's replacing.

Then there's some bizarre features missing from OneUI 6.1, the ones I've noticed so far are specifically in the Always On Display settings.  I use AOD to display as a bedside clock,  with my S10 and also in OneUI 6.0 / Android 14 on the A52 you can rotate the AOD to landscape orientation and control the brightness, you could even do the latter from the AOD lock screen by tapping twice on the clock to access the brightness slider. In OneUI 6.1 unless I'm missing something it seems all that functionality is missing, the brightness of the AOD is linked to the main screen brightness setting which is far too bright for overnight use, and you can't set it to landscape mode which I'd prefer when on it's horizontal night stand next to the bed. Why this functionality would be omitted I have no idea, but it's really annoying! Please someone enlighten me to some hidden menu somewhere that fixes all these issues?! 🙂

3,243 Replies
userbFoQQztAqB
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S24

Holy **bleep** huge difference using the vivid essence slider, ty for the heads up!

0 Likes
userQvgaoklMT1
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S24

I watched a youtube video of someone demoing the vividness slider (I returned my S24U), in the video I saw zero difference in colors when he moved the slider.

0 Likes
realaud
Honored Contributor
Options
Galaxy S24

So, you watched a video on a screen you said was washed out and saw no difference in a video when the slider was moved.  Did you try the slider on your own, or did you think he was controlling your screen's vividness?

0 Likes
SNJuser
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S24
Galaxy S24Ultra...When editing gifs the format changes drastically from the original format, cannot figure how to change the setting. The edited gif goes from 6x9 to something all scrunched up...I wind up deleting the edited gif. Hope someone has a fix for this.
0 Likes
Rachanafen
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S24

I just upgraded my samsung A70 to a Samsung S24 today and I swear the colour and sharpness is not right nothing like my A70. Help! I don't know what to do and I'm unhappy with my new phone. I have the exact same issue. What is going on? Do i return it and stick with my A70 or is this a fault? The phone salesman in the o2 shop told me the S24 has one of the best cameras therefore I wouldn't need to invest in a digital camera for my holidays. What the **bleep**!?

0 Likes
vboyce
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S24

I just traded in my S22 Ultra for the new S24 Ultra 2 days ago. Between going back to the retailer and speaking with Samsung Customer Service,  I have now wasted almost 2 full days trying to sort out the washed out screen color issue. I use my phone to make my living and I cannot afford the runaround I have received from Samsung and the retailer regarding this issue.  HUGE DISAPPOINTMENT.  I finally spoke to a supervisor at Samsung last evening who swears their engineers are pushing out a software update that will fix the issue later this month. He asked me to call back today for a 2 way conversation with that engineering department for more information.  I have been a loyal Samsung Android customer for many years now and the first time I have lost trust with the company.  Definitely feels like a big cover up is going on here. Also I noticed the phone didn't charge properly with new wall outlet charger yesterday and last night on a new wireless station. If I cannot be totally assured that the software update will resolve the washed out screen color issue, I will return the S24 for a refund. 

0 Likes
Rachanafen
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S24

Would it be worth returning my S24?

0 Likes
katkit
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S24

we are trying to add a clock face to homescreen. Is it possible with S24 Ultra?

0 Likes
realaud
Honored Contributor
Options
Galaxy S24

Yes. Long press on a blank area of your home screen.  It will shrink the screen and bring up the editor, on the bottom will be a menu item for widgets.  Choose the widgets and search for "clock".  You will see several clock widgets.  Select one.  Move it to the location you want on the screen. There is only one analog clock widget, but you can long press it, click the settings gear and change its style.

0 Likes
Members_LXAgILu
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S24
🙂Internet_20240719_141924_1000000059_1721413166.jpg20240719_074440_1000000054_1721389480.jpgInternet_20240719_071613_1000000052_1721387775.jpg20240719_062514_1000000051_1721384714.jpg
0 Likes