Original topic:

S24 Display Quality & AOD Missing Options

(Topic created: 01-24-2024 03:01 PM)
Locoblade
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S24

Hi All

I've just got my S24+ today to upgrade my trusty but ageing S10+ having not strayed from Samsung for almost 10 years. Naturally I was hoping it would be an upgrade in all departments but although on the whole it is, there's several annoying and unexpected downgrades that are making me seriously question whether it's actually worth spending quite a bit of money to change.

Firstly, the screen although pin sharp is really washed out. Even in vivid mode the colours are dull and the blacks are significantly more grey than the S10 screen, and even look washed out when put alongside my wife's budget spec A52! I've played around with brightness and colour tone etc but I can't dial it out, and my cousin who's got an S24 Ultra said exactly the same when comparing it against the S22 it's replacing.

Then there's some bizarre features missing from OneUI 6.1, the ones I've noticed so far are specifically in the Always On Display settings.  I use AOD to display as a bedside clock,  with my S10 and also in OneUI 6.0 / Android 14 on the A52 you can rotate the AOD to landscape orientation and control the brightness, you could even do the latter from the AOD lock screen by tapping twice on the clock to access the brightness slider. In OneUI 6.1 unless I'm missing something it seems all that functionality is missing, the brightness of the AOD is linked to the main screen brightness setting which is far too bright for overnight use, and you can't set it to landscape mode which I'd prefer when on it's horizontal night stand next to the bed. Why this functionality would be omitted I have no idea, but it's really annoying! Please someone enlighten me to some hidden menu somewhere that fixes all these issues?! šŸ™‚

JUMP TO SOLUTION
3,236 Replies
userEipzspkQRB
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S24
You have 0 reason to believe anything you just said except what you just decided to ture. The one thing you said is a fact is that there are other Android phones to chose from. I'd say if you're not happy go grab one. That's why Android is the best.
RobbieRedDevil74
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S24

What I did, was to turn on extra brightness,then use screen brightness slider,and lower it to half way,obviously turn off auto brightness. 

Setting>display click extra brightness.  These panels are more true to life,so may seem like colours don't pop as much compared to s23,22,21 models.

There could be a chance that samsung improve this in updates? Bit tbh I'm happy.

userJphoJL5JS2
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S24
still there's very little diffeent if not any between switching from natural to vivid. If that's the case why would samsung even give us an option this is unacceptable for a 1.3k phone and I'm returning it if this is not fixed with a day 1 patch
0 Likes
PJ55555
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S24
Problem is it's not just dull colors my s24 plus the display looks like extra dim is enabled it's dull as well as dim šŸ™
0 Likes
userIYsrAikJeH
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S24
I just received my S24 ultra today, and the screen is super washed out when put right next to the S23 Ultra with the same settings. I'll give Samsung 10 days to address the issue and fix it via software update because this is most likely a software issue. If not, I'm returning this phone and keeping my S23 Ultra.
BeemerFishing
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S24

I have noticed a trend in Samsung Galaxy phones where each upgrade downgrades the display. I had a Note 10+ and upgraded to the S22 Ultra, the Note's colors were vibrant and white fonts were bright white when compared side by side to the S22 Ultra. Played with settings and still no improvement. Kept the S22 Ultra. Now I upgrade to S24 Ultra and again, side by side comparison, the S22 Ultra colors are more vibrant and the display is brighter than the S24. Brightness slide all the way to the right and Adaptive Brightness off, can't look as good as the S22's screen. Specs show this and has to be a lie.

• S24 Ultra 2,600 nits vs  S22 Ultra 1,750 nits display brightness

I wanted the upgrade because I want the flat screen back, but with the display not being as bright and dull colors, I probably will return it in less than 2 weeks.

0 Likes
imladenov
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S24

The display is clamped to sRGB color gamut. Look at the measurements in this review - https://youtu.be/Sw_9rGg0gqc?t=350 I'm sure the display is capable of showing more than 84% DCI-P3 so they just need to add a DCI-P3 or native color gamut option.

Gjimenez07
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S24
Same thing with me. I have the settings on to push and hold on AOD for settings but nothing happens. And display Colors look washed and dull.
0 Likes
Gjimenez07
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S24
I pre-ordered the S24 Ultra and received mine yesterday. Upgraded from the S22 Ultra, and hoping I don't regret it but the S24 display is HORRIBLE compared to my S22. S22 has deeper, more vibrant colors. S24 colors looked washed, faded and DULL. I hope this is a software issue and gets fixed with an update because this was not worth the upgrade if that's how the display actually is. Anyone experiencing the same issue? 
userJphoJL5JS2
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S24
everyone is man, I think every phone has this issue