Original topic:

S24 Display Quality & AOD Missing Options

(Topic created: 01-24-2024 03:01 PM)
Locoblade
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S24

Hi All

I've just got my S24+ today to upgrade my trusty but ageing S10+ having not strayed from Samsung for almost 10 years. Naturally I was hoping it would be an upgrade in all departments but although on the whole it is, there's several annoying and unexpected downgrades that are making me seriously question whether it's actually worth spending quite a bit of money to change.

Firstly, the screen although pin sharp is really washed out. Even in vivid mode the colours are dull and the blacks are significantly more grey than the S10 screen, and even look washed out when put alongside my wife's budget spec A52! I've played around with brightness and colour tone etc but I can't dial it out, and my cousin who's got an S24 Ultra said exactly the same when comparing it against the S22 it's replacing.

Then there's some bizarre features missing from OneUI 6.1, the ones I've noticed so far are specifically in the Always On Display settings.  I use AOD to display as a bedside clock,  with my S10 and also in OneUI 6.0 / Android 14 on the A52 you can rotate the AOD to landscape orientation and control the brightness, you could even do the latter from the AOD lock screen by tapping twice on the clock to access the brightness slider. In OneUI 6.1 unless I'm missing something it seems all that functionality is missing, the brightness of the AOD is linked to the main screen brightness setting which is far too bright for overnight use, and you can't set it to landscape mode which I'd prefer when on it's horizontal night stand next to the bed. Why this functionality would be omitted I have no idea, but it's really annoying! Please someone enlighten me to some hidden menu somewhere that fixes all these issues?! šŸ™‚

JUMP TO SOLUTION
3,234 Replies
Options
Galaxy S24

"Adaptive Color Tone" must be off otherwise Advanced Settings for the Vividness Mode won't be available. 

Screenshot_20240223_185127_Settings.jpg

ā€ƒ

Sma148
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S24

You seriously have an eye problem..

0 Likes
LM0nst3R
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S24
Thanks for the helpful comment, you're such a lovely person.
Summest
Comet
Options
Galaxy S24

I didn't notice any difference with the Vivid 2.0.  My screen always looked fine to me.

Summest
S24 and S21.
0 Likes
slainte0317
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S24

The change, for me, is noticeable on the 2nd or 3rd sample pics...the ball with rings, or the house...not so much on the default pinwheel.  I too thought something was wrong with the update (although I thought the screen was fine before the update).

Galaxy Knight
Galaxy
Options
Galaxy S24

The difference is definitely noticeable to me and the 3rd notch on the slider is on par with the S23 Ultra. My girlfriend still has the S23 Ultra, so I was able to compare.

This video also did technical testing to show a significant difference compared to before the update. So I'm not sure what's going on with the people who say they can't see the difference. 

https://youtu.be/0MfqylD1Beo

Ibuddy66
Galaxy
Options
Galaxy S24
Probably related to the fact that they still have the devices still stuck on July 1, 2023 Google Play System Update. Certain functionality of the UI won't work right yet they seem to be oblivious to this "minor" detail.
- Ibuddy66
0 Likes
vjc789
Halo
Options
Galaxy S24
No, it's not you. I, too, don't see any changes either. If any, it's a very, very ,and I mean very tiny change that's laughable that Samsung thinks the slider makes the screen any better. After I select vivid, and then move the vividness slider all the way to the right to the S21 level, I don't see any changes in color. My older S22 Ultra still has a more vivid screen than my S24 Ultra. So where's the improvement?
klanand
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S24

Same here. No difference at all. Tried all possible "settings" changes as mentioned in different posts. Yet no change even in second notch. Looks like the update is working for few people. Don't know what kind of Testing process Samsung is having. But definitely they are testing our patience! In India there is no return policy as well šŸ˜ž 

For the first time I am disliking Samsung. Really disappointed and we paid premium money for all these. Sigh !

zelero76
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S24
I sent our s24 ultras back because I thought it was a screen defect. A guy I know kept his. He showed me the vividness slider just yesterday and it definitely works. He was able to make it more vivid than my s23 ultra when we compared them side by side. It sounds like an issue with your phone unfortunately. Maybe try a factory reset if all else fails?