Original topic:

S24 Display Quality & AOD Missing Options

(Topic created: 01-24-2024 03:01 PM)
Locoblade
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S24

Hi All

I've just got my S24+ today to upgrade my trusty but ageing S10+ having not strayed from Samsung for almost 10 years. Naturally I was hoping it would be an upgrade in all departments but although on the whole it is, there's several annoying and unexpected downgrades that are making me seriously question whether it's actually worth spending quite a bit of money to change.

Firstly, the screen although pin sharp is really washed out. Even in vivid mode the colours are dull and the blacks are significantly more grey than the S10 screen, and even look washed out when put alongside my wife's budget spec A52! I've played around with brightness and colour tone etc but I can't dial it out, and my cousin who's got an S24 Ultra said exactly the same when comparing it against the S22 it's replacing.

Then there's some bizarre features missing from OneUI 6.1, the ones I've noticed so far are specifically in the Always On Display settings.  I use AOD to display as a bedside clock,  with my S10 and also in OneUI 6.0 / Android 14 on the A52 you can rotate the AOD to landscape orientation and control the brightness, you could even do the latter from the AOD lock screen by tapping twice on the clock to access the brightness slider. In OneUI 6.1 unless I'm missing something it seems all that functionality is missing, the brightness of the AOD is linked to the main screen brightness setting which is far too bright for overnight use, and you can't set it to landscape mode which I'd prefer when on it's horizontal night stand next to the bed. Why this functionality would be omitted I have no idea, but it's really annoying! Please someone enlighten me to some hidden menu somewhere that fixes all these issues?! šŸ™‚

JUMP TO SOLUTION
3,236 Replies
Max8282
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S24

I have looked at this image you posted and there is no grain at all. Used 5 - 30 % brightness. There is just the picture. But I have color banding with mine. 

0 Likes
gog78
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S24

No grain here (S921B) 

0 Likes
Naters69
Halo
Options
Galaxy S24
They need to recall these phones! Such bad publicity is incoming. Toms hardware, tech radar all the big names are mentioning it. Phone looks like my dad alcatec tracfone from 2008. I'm literally sad every time I have to use my phone because of how bad the display is.
bondo008
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S24
Screen is sharp and does look good...BUT! It doesn't feel like anything special if you know what i mean. Definitely not a vibrant oled that we have been spoiled with all these years. This does cost more than the iPhone pro max and previous ultras, so I do expect everything to be better. Supposedly they have a vivid slider in the works for the next update and that would be amazing. We could customize it the way we want. My iphone friends were always jealous of my amazing looking display on my old ultra. Fingers crossed are phones stand out again.
humour
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S24
This issue is affecting all units. If you don't see it that means you are not looking hard or simply can't see it which is good for you. I hope Samsung can fix it via software updateIMG_5960_1000001005_1707356186.jpg
Max8282
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S24

What are the settings to get such a screen? I want to test it on mine. I have color banding with the color tests, but not with any foto. I am really confused. 

0 Likes
Kyle0505
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S24
I returned the phone this morning. Thank you, Samsung, for letting me wait for your response in hopeless.
useraiz0d64ffw
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S24

I have no issue with graniy display

My major issue is dull washed out colour which have been reported widely and I personally believe every single s24 ultra produced at any country have the exact same issue. I tested this in several shops in Germany on display models as well as UK shops all of them showed Vivid Vs Natural making no difference and as much as Samsung try to say this was intended many expert and many long term users of galaxy don't believe that.

If this is not resolved in the next day or so with update this phone goes back. 

Don't bother with Samsung support they read a paragraph given to them by Samsung and all of the reading the exact nonsense to you. 

No point of this phone if display colours are issue and everyone with this problem should return this phone if fix doesn't come in the next day or so.

No one will buy this phone if display issue of various kind persist 

Samsung needs to start treating their customers with respect and understand why people complaining about this rather than staying in total denial to say this was intended to be looking dull and washed out. There is absolutly nothing Natural about the display colours, so boring 

You don't want to pick up this phone with this display so the reason it goes back. I will not go back to Samsung after this.

Tired of Samsung nonsense replies, total waste of my time buying this phone 

Not happy at all

I am a samsung owner since GS2 and never changed to anything else. My note 9 colour display looks far superior than this phone. 

Very true

Good luck all, keep demanding a fix please

userperuser
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S24

Upgraded because the screen was supposed to be better, then try to use it at night in bed and it looks like a cheap OLED panel... Thought I was too sleepy, now it all makes. 

usersevUTdyvMy
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S24

Got it also. Grain and banding. Returned mine. Bought in Poland.

0 Likes