Original topic:

S24 Display Quality & AOD Missing Options

(Topic created: 01-24-2024 03:01 PM)
Locoblade
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S24

Hi All

I've just got my S24+ today to upgrade my trusty but ageing S10+ having not strayed from Samsung for almost 10 years. Naturally I was hoping it would be an upgrade in all departments but although on the whole it is, there's several annoying and unexpected downgrades that are making me seriously question whether it's actually worth spending quite a bit of money to change.

Firstly, the screen although pin sharp is really washed out. Even in vivid mode the colours are dull and the blacks are significantly more grey than the S10 screen, and even look washed out when put alongside my wife's budget spec A52! I've played around with brightness and colour tone etc but I can't dial it out, and my cousin who's got an S24 Ultra said exactly the same when comparing it against the S22 it's replacing.

Then there's some bizarre features missing from OneUI 6.1, the ones I've noticed so far are specifically in the Always On Display settings.  I use AOD to display as a bedside clock,  with my S10 and also in OneUI 6.0 / Android 14 on the A52 you can rotate the AOD to landscape orientation and control the brightness, you could even do the latter from the AOD lock screen by tapping twice on the clock to access the brightness slider. In OneUI 6.1 unless I'm missing something it seems all that functionality is missing, the brightness of the AOD is linked to the main screen brightness setting which is far too bright for overnight use, and you can't set it to landscape mode which I'd prefer when on it's horizontal night stand next to the bed. Why this functionality would be omitted I have no idea, but it's really annoying! Please someone enlighten me to some hidden menu somewhere that fixes all these issues?! šŸ™‚

JUMP TO SOLUTION
3,236 Replies
aceluma
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S24

I bought an s24 ultra and wow, what a colossal disappointment. On the first night of usage I noticed that the screen looked off in low light, as if a thin peice of paper was on top of my screen. I didn't understand what it was at all but quickly recognised it made my new s24u look significantly worse then my old iphone 11 in low light.

it wasn't until i stumbled upon a reddit post about grain, that i realised thats exactly what I have.

next day i replaced my phone with a brand new unit, unfortunately the brand new unit from which im typing from has the exact same problem and I can see the grain right now.

How this screen is anywhere acceptable in 2024 is absolutely beyond me, its downright looks awful in lowlight plus dark mode.

I doubt Samsung cares and I'm confident they knew the screens had these problems but sold it anyways due to greed.

such a massive bummer. my first samsung I bought is this.

Laccosta
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S24

im from Brazil, i get my s24 ultra yesterday on the end of the day. When I lay in the bed tƓ watch Netflix I saw the grainy. Now im returning It.

humour
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S24
Do not settle for less. Return your device. Samsung clearly didn't implement proper demura process. $1400 device should not be having display panel issues like this. Howtopronounce.com is a good test. Set your phone to 10-20% brightness and see that gray background in dark room. It's grainy as *****. One may argue...I don't use my phone at night in dark environments. Well tons of ppl do. Otherwise it's a greate device. Keep putting pressure on Samsung to fix graininess in future batches at least IMG_5956_1000000226_1707356311.jpg
humour
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S24
Here is a scientific explanation behind grainy display issue. https://www.reddit.com/r/GalaxyS24Ultra/s/RLLivW1Wlx
0 Likes
Siva_Nayak
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S24

Even I am facing the same issue. The colors are not vibrant enough. Chrome browser appears reddish in dark mode. Please tell me if there will be any update rolling out soon?

YgorCortes
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S24

I noticed the same problem, and mine even has diagonal lines running along the entire screen, like a jeans pattern. This is unacceptable on a $1300 device!

20240129_234503.jpg

AkashSahu
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S24

@YgorCortes bro, get it replaced. I had the same issue with my 24U in the first batch of pre-order, the diagonal will get worse, go to a service centre and get a DOA ASAP and return/replace. The new unit I got doesn't have this diagonal lines and the grains are very minor. 

0 Likes
Fauxpax
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S24

Hello mate @AkashSahu I am returning mine as well on Samsung UK Online. How long did you have to wait for the replacement to be delivered to you? I got the grain and banding issues as well

0 Likes
AkashSahu
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S24

Hello @Fauxpax , for me the waiting period was 5 days, i had my spare phone on hand so it wasn't so problematic. The waiting period will depend on region to region.

After you've received your replacement, please let us know if you find the grains still there

Cheers

0 Likes
NTS
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S24

image.jpg

ā€ƒ

IMG_1106.jpeg

ā€ƒ

IMG_1107.jpeg

ā€ƒ

IMG_1108.jpeg

ā€ƒ

image.jpg

ā€ƒ

I am extremely disappointed. You have a global problem on your hands and you have not spoken up yet. Along with thousands of others; my display is very grainy...all dark hue colors (especially black or gray) appear to display a grainy texture which resembles the pattern of denim jeans. This grainy display makes the entire experience disappointing and it is not normal. I've been with Apple for the past 10 years and purchased 6 iPhones. I finally leave Apple in 2024 to get my first android device the s24+ and I am insulted with such a poor display. Apple would have never released a faulty product at launch and not address the consumers concerns. You have let me down as a potential long time consumer, and for that, I don't think I can trust samsung. The fact that you have not addressed these concerns publicly, let's me know that you don't value (us) your customers. I will be returning my device and going back to Apple. I will never buy another Samsung product of any kind...goodbye.