Original topic:

S24 Display Quality & AOD Missing Options

(Topic created: 01-24-2024 03:01 PM)
Locoblade
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S24

Hi All

I've just got my S24+ today to upgrade my trusty but ageing S10+ having not strayed from Samsung for almost 10 years. Naturally I was hoping it would be an upgrade in all departments but although on the whole it is, there's several annoying and unexpected downgrades that are making me seriously question whether it's actually worth spending quite a bit of money to change.

Firstly, the screen although pin sharp is really washed out. Even in vivid mode the colours are dull and the blacks are significantly more grey than the S10 screen, and even look washed out when put alongside my wife's budget spec A52! I've played around with brightness and colour tone etc but I can't dial it out, and my cousin who's got an S24 Ultra said exactly the same when comparing it against the S22 it's replacing.

Then there's some bizarre features missing from OneUI 6.1, the ones I've noticed so far are specifically in the Always On Display settings.  I use AOD to display as a bedside clock,  with my S10 and also in OneUI 6.0 / Android 14 on the A52 you can rotate the AOD to landscape orientation and control the brightness, you could even do the latter from the AOD lock screen by tapping twice on the clock to access the brightness slider. In OneUI 6.1 unless I'm missing something it seems all that functionality is missing, the brightness of the AOD is linked to the main screen brightness setting which is far too bright for overnight use, and you can't set it to landscape mode which I'd prefer when on it's horizontal night stand next to the bed. Why this functionality would be omitted I have no idea, but it's really annoying! Please someone enlighten me to some hidden menu somewhere that fixes all these issues?! šŸ™‚

JUMP TO SOLUTION
3,243 Replies
Popsicle20
Red Giant
Options
Galaxy S24
There was apparently a leak that Samsung plans to release a patch with a saturation slider for Vivid mode.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/paulmonckton/2024/02/09/new-samsung-leak-reveals-perfect-solution-to-ga...
Sam56
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S24
Yes. But still no official statement from samsung that they will be fixing it.
0 Likes
HRprofessional
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S24
I reached out to Samsung this morning, and it appears that nothing will be done. They feel it was an improvement. See below.

Hello, thanks for reaching out. Please be advised that the Galaxy S24 series' display is working as intended and not defective. It is carefully tuned for a comfortable, quality viewing experience. We offer many advanced display settings, which we are happy to help walk you through if you wish. We understand where you're coming from. At the moment, there's no official statement by Samsung that a software update will be provided for this matter since this is not considered as a defect on the phone. However, we really appreciate your feedback since Samsung continuously enhances Galaxy device experiences based on our consumer feedback. The Galaxy S24 series' display has been tuned for a more accurate and comfortable viewing experience. We are currently reviewing feedback relating to the S24 series display viewing experience. As always, we value the interests and feedback of our users above all.
0 Likes
Members_shn3cKM
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S24

wish it happens very soon.

0 Likes
al10104
Galaxy
Options
Galaxy S24
Everyone keeps talking about ice universe. I don't think he works for samsung. That slider he designed for what he thinks it should look like for the s24 phone. He's been wrong in the past, and I will believe when I see it. Really we should be waiting for samsung to make the announcement. Not this ice universe guy!
Think about it with all these people upset with the Vivid screen, don't you think samsung would of announced it by now.
Why should there have to be a leak? Just doesn't make sense?
Options
Galaxy S24
Ice is a very reliable leaker and he's rarely wrong.
Rskyline
Galaxy
Options
Galaxy S24
Lmao he's often wrong, and also he gets triggered too and insults people as well. What a reliable source.
0 Likes
AV31
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S24
Camera is hotrrible, display is horrible, I was in 14 day window and returned it, kept my old S21.
Not expected from this expensive phone to degrade quality when you upgrade your phone.