Original topic:

S24 Display Quality & AOD Missing Options

(Topic created: 01-24-2024 03:01 PM)
Locoblade
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S24

Hi All

I've just got my S24+ today to upgrade my trusty but ageing S10+ having not strayed from Samsung for almost 10 years. Naturally I was hoping it would be an upgrade in all departments but although on the whole it is, there's several annoying and unexpected downgrades that are making me seriously question whether it's actually worth spending quite a bit of money to change.

Firstly, the screen although pin sharp is really washed out. Even in vivid mode the colours are dull and the blacks are significantly more grey than the S10 screen, and even look washed out when put alongside my wife's budget spec A52! I've played around with brightness and colour tone etc but I can't dial it out, and my cousin who's got an S24 Ultra said exactly the same when comparing it against the S22 it's replacing.

Then there's some bizarre features missing from OneUI 6.1, the ones I've noticed so far are specifically in the Always On Display settings.  I use AOD to display as a bedside clock,  with my S10 and also in OneUI 6.0 / Android 14 on the A52 you can rotate the AOD to landscape orientation and control the brightness, you could even do the latter from the AOD lock screen by tapping twice on the clock to access the brightness slider. In OneUI 6.1 unless I'm missing something it seems all that functionality is missing, the brightness of the AOD is linked to the main screen brightness setting which is far too bright for overnight use, and you can't set it to landscape mode which I'd prefer when on it's horizontal night stand next to the bed. Why this functionality would be omitted I have no idea, but it's really annoying! Please someone enlighten me to some hidden menu somewhere that fixes all these issues?! šŸ™‚

JUMP TO SOLUTION
3,236 Replies
Members_7RT6RcE
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S24

Thank you! Just what I was looking for.

0 Likes
Options
Galaxy S24
Someone said Samsung is aware of the problem and is gonna fix it. Roll out a software update in a few days. It's all the S24s
Summest
Comet
Options
Galaxy S24

Maybe they can re-add the missing LockStar module in GoodLock.

Summest
S24 and S21.
0 Likes
gingerbreadstud
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S24
I upgraded from my S22 Ultra and agree side by side is a crazy difference. It seems like a downgrade
0 Likes
Dawkinslee
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S24
S24 Ultra screen seems dull and vived mode not working
0 Likes
Peri21
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S24
for AOD i did something similar that used to be with clockface from Good Lock
0 Likes
jaws01975
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S24
So glad I didn't preorder the S24 plus. The colors are very washed out. No punch to the icons like on my S21 Ultra. And WHY would they think going washed out grey was better than black? The selling point of an OLED tv is "inky blacks that really make colors pop"! Apparently, Samsung said, ah, screw that. Let's do the opposite on our high priced OLED phone screens! šŸ«¤ šŸ‘šŸ»
0 Likes
mrk33
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S24

I just noticed that there is no difference between the Vivid and Natural settings on my new s24. I was wondering why the colors were so washed out on the new phone.  Both my s24 and s22 were set to vivid,  but when I went into the settings on the the s24 and toggled back and forth from vivid to natural nothing changed.  No wonder the colors are drab! 

0 Likes
parksanim
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S24

It's one of two possibilities related to DCI-P3 color space:

1.  The screen is capable of higher than 83% DCI-P3 color, and Samsung's claim that a software bug is the issue is true.

2.  The screens are a cheaper level not capable of a DCI-P3 rating on par with previous Samsung S-series displays.  

3.  There is a regional issue affecting screens, and is either hardware or software related.

All I know is that I noticed the color problem immediately when I looked at the s24 Ultra in Kangnam.  Not sure how anyone with a discerning eye could miss it.

0 Likes
userUvicCdDR7b
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S24

Me to.washed colors and can look .i will return

0 Likes