Options
Galaxy S24

Smart Select Disappear from the Edge Panel HELP PLEASE 

239 Replies
PrivacyandSecurity
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S24
Now that it is gone you can still achieve the same objective. Just more steps but not difficult. To smart select go to Gallery, choose the pencil edit tool at the top. The 4 dots on the menu, lasso, shape and choose your shape. Next then you can outline it and choose a color. Click finish and save.

For a gif. "Choose the pictures and Create" from the gallery menu. Choose Gif.

It's longer than screen select cause you have to screenshot what you want to smart select first. But you can still do it in Android 14, One UI 6.1.1. Hopefully Samsung will bring smart select back.
bingus2
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S24
I use edge panels often - I had them set to screenshot shortcuts, that gave me options of shapes and a gif recorder. This was great for me because I have difficulty with my hands and pressing the side buttons at the same time. Latest update not only completely removed this, but removed even the option- closest thing now is "shortcuts" that have a whole variety of things I dont need, and the new screenshotting tool on that shortcut bar is so different and worse that I would rather struggle with the buttons.

What gives? Is there any way to enable the old one again? I couldn't find it in the settings. This update is genuinely making things I could do with ease, quickly, now be a multi-step and more difficult process.

This is not the first time a system update got rid of something I was using, but this seems... extreme?
LongHiker
Galactic Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Galaxy S24

@bingus2 Not sure if you are aware or not but there is still a screenshot tool in the Edge panel. It is the Smart Select tool. Unfortunately it does not have some of the capabilities that you mentioned. Screenshot_20240910_214620_One UI Home.jpg

bingus2
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S24
I saw, but... it feels like a really flashy lasso tool compared to old buttons, takes extra time to load too. Old ones used to snap to shapes on the screen (so I could get exact cutouts pretty often), nothing flashy, didn't take any time to load whatsoever. I could also correct what I was cropping easier, could drag it around. "Smart Select" just starts a new selection if I do that. Its not necessarily bad, but for me, not convenient or more useful than a normal screenshot and cropping it after.
ai_stinks1234
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S24
Is there a way for the old and new to both exist, and the user can choose which to use? The Smart Select takes longer, probably because AI is analyzing, but most of the time I don't need AI help. If using Smart Select to screenshot part of the screen, you can't drag the box, you have to move the corners, which is slower. So it doesn't feel smart when these two things are causing the process to take longer.
Rolgil19
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S24

This one is the closest to what we used to have! Thanks!

0 Likes
Members_k3FS1Ga
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S24

Yes! @bingus2 This replacement feature is TRASH! I want the old one back ASAP

Beinberean
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S24

Amen

0 Likes
IvanPutski
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S24
Agreed. Please bring back the recorder on the edge panel.
userUN3uSFU9dV
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S24

This is a loss of functionality that I used a lot eg lasso.  Thw new selection tool feels very clumsy and  not suited to s pen but rather a fat finger.  Horrible step way backwards

0 Likes