cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Constellation

Android 10 update bricked S9

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I tried downloading the update for my S9, and after the blue update screen it booted up normally, and then a progress bar listed as "finishing Android update" appears. It gets to about 90% and then the phone freezed and restarts, only to do the whole thing over again in a never ending boot loop until I just shut it off.

It's worth nothing that this has happened on TWO of my S9s. I tried factory resetting my original one, and nothing. It still is in a boot loop. I took it to a samsung affiliated shop and they couldn't find an exact reason either.

Thinking it was just my phone crapping out, I bought another S9, and the exact same thing happened. After the blue update screen, phone reboots, progress bar gets to 90%, then it freezes, crashes, and reboots. 

I couldn't find any other instances of this online, and if this is happening to two devices, one of them brand new, I'm out of ideas. Given the current circumstances in the world, I'm not sure when I'm able to go to a Samsung shop. Any insight on this?

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Product Expert

Re: Android 10 update bricked S9

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hi @userDkNLPWFVOV 

I understand you are having problems with your device at the moment and I would like to assist you to troubleshoot this problem.

Make sure there is no SD card or Simcard on the device for this method "Because some defective SD card will make the phone not load up the operating system"

Unfortunately, since your phone is stuck on a boot-loop / Failed Upgrade all of your files will be deleted with this methods

Method 1: Put your phone in download mode 

• Turn off the mobile by holding the Power button for a short while.
  • In the second step start pressing Volume Down + Bixby + Power key for a few moments.
  • Release all keys when you see a change on the screen.
  • Now select OK by using Volume Up key.
  • Good job! Your phone will be in Download Mode.

Download Smart switch on your PC https://www.samsung.com/us/support/owners/app/smart-switch or Mac and plug in the device 
    SmartswitchMore.JPGEmergency Recovery.jpg
    Select the Device and Hit Ok
    Wait for the phone to bootup

Method 2: Hardware Reset 

Make sure that the device is powered down/OFF

Hold power, Bixby and volume UP bottom until you are at this part
awaw.jpg

Select Wipe Data/ Factory Reset > Yes

Reboot System now

if the problem persists you might have a hardware problem and needs servicing  you can contact 

1-800-SAMSUNG or Find the nearest Samsung Care service provider they are trained and experienced on all the hardware servicing for the devices

hopefully, this will help with your problem

Be sure to click " ✔ Accept as Solution" When you find an answer that works for you

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Product Expert

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hi @userDkNLPWFVOV 

I understand you are having problems with your device at the moment and I would like to assist you to troubleshoot this problem.

Make sure there is no SD card or Simcard on the device for this method "Because some defective SD card will make the phone not load up the operating system"

Unfortunately, since your phone is stuck on a boot-loop / Failed Upgrade all of your files will be deleted with this methods

Method 1: Put your phone in download mode 

• Turn off the mobile by holding the Power button for a short while.
  • In the second step start pressing Volume Down + Bixby + Power key for a few moments.
  • Release all keys when you see a change on the screen.
  • Now select OK by using Volume Up key.
  • Good job! Your phone will be in Download Mode.

Download Smart switch on your PC https://www.samsung.com/us/support/owners/app/smart-switch or Mac and plug in the device 
    SmartswitchMore.JPGEmergency Recovery.jpg
    Select the Device and Hit Ok
    Wait for the phone to bootup

Method 2: Hardware Reset 

Make sure that the device is powered down/OFF

Hold power, Bixby and volume UP bottom until you are at this part
awaw.jpg

Select Wipe Data/ Factory Reset > Yes

Reboot System now

if the problem persists you might have a hardware problem and needs servicing  you can contact 

1-800-SAMSUNG or Find the nearest Samsung Care service provider they are trained and experienced on all the hardware servicing for the devices

hopefully, this will help with your problem

Be sure to click " ✔ Accept as Solution" When you find an answer that works for you

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Thanks for the insight, Joellem. I've taken (half) of your suggestion. I removed the SD and Sim card tray, along with both cards, and restarted the phone. It was able to complete the update, so that's a plus. 

Upon reinserting the tray with cards, the phone did restart once again on it's own. I took out the SD card alone and left the Sim in, and it seems to have subsided. I may have a corrupted or faulty card. Should this persist after getting a new card, I will carry on with your instructions in full. 

Until then, thank you. 

Highlighted
Product Expert

JUMP TO SOLUTION

@userDkNLPWFVOV 

no problem glad to help you with your problem if you have any questions feel free to post on the community again.

Highlighted
Astronaut

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I think I need a new phone altogether, my j7 wont even use samsung pay!