JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Calories Burned Wrong on Galaxy watch

(Topic created: 10-31-2020 06:18 AM)
dpelchat
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy Watch

I've been using my watch for three weeks and I love it overall.

My first workout was a little weird... It logged Elliptical work for 400 calories and logged another workout for 700 at the same time.

I start my workouts manually now and the calories burned are always low. I synchronize every workout in MapMyFitness through SHealth,  and the calories count transferred in the app are correct!!

Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks!

80 Replies
userN76NRoxxKf
Constellation
Options
Galaxy Watch

This is such a bummer. Although I'm glad I'm not alone. Just got a galaxy watch active 2. I do HIIT training for 30 min regularly. On my apple watch, I get a calories burned reading between 300 and 400. On the GWA2 I get 156. What the heck? That is WAY off. Again, such a bummer. 

GiftedNapper
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy Watch

the calories burned indicator on the watch is completely useless because it is not in any way dependent on the exercise you are doing or how hard you are working. The watch does not even consider heart rate when calculating calories. It's only using your basal metabolic rate and the demographic information you put into Samsung health. For me, it tells me I've burned the same number of calories in any half hour increments no matter what exercise I am doing. Totally useless

oeagleo
Comet
Options
Galaxy Watch

I'm not a triathlete, or anything like that, so I use generally the built in activities, ie. walking, weights, bikeing, etc.  I have found the calorie burn into to be consistent with what I was getting with my Apple Watch, and with a Garmin Fenix I had.

What I suspect is going on here, is what was happening with my Apple watch, that is, if you're not using one of the built in activities, or using "other", the watch/Health calculate your calorie burn at a consistent, constant, standard rate.  Apple does this also, if you choose "Other" for your activity, Apple calculates your burn rate at a "rate consistent with a brisk walk".  They never define what that is though.  AFAIK, Garmin, does use the actual heart rate info for the calorie burn info, but those watches are much more concerned with the physical aspects, rather than the smartwatch.  So, in conclusion, I think that Samsung is using the same procedure as other smart watches.  How to get around it? Don't know, but it is what it is.

For those interested, here is a web based Calorie Burn estimator based upon your average heart rate for a specific period of time.  Farther down the page is an option to determine your NET calorie burn, which is what Health calculates.  There are other calculators out there also, but this one is simple.

http://www.shapesense.com/fitness-exercise/calculators/heart-rate-based-calorie-burn-calculator.shtm...

0 Likes
rushi29
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy Watch
is this still a known issue? I have a new galaxy watch 3 and I had the same experience in my workouts recently. The watch calculated the calories pretty wrong during my legs workout. I started it as other and it only accounted like 40-45 calories in 10 minutes where my heart rate was in range of 140-170 during this time.
0 Likes
howdidoo
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy Watch
So this is in line with someone who posted a reply from Samsung Support in Feb 2020, the watches by Samsung still continue to measure calories using BMR and does not factor in the heart rate. This is a real bummer in 2020. Such a beautiful watch is wasted by poor tracking, plain LAZY.
0 Likes
Sonam
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy Watch
My calories are always reversed. Today I completed my walk, It says 492 calories. After 15-20 mnts it got changed to 470 calories. Is someone facing the same issue?
0 Likes
Options
Galaxy Watch

I don't wear my watch to sleep, I just put it on and it says I have burned 434 calories. I haven't even stood up or moved. Also when I workout, regardless of the inte sity, it says I burn 239 calories. There are zero settings. I had an apple watch before, and it was spot on with calories burned as a whole and my workouts. 

0 Likes
user03fbxf2eYe
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy Watch

so is samsung planning to fix this or should i ditch my watch active 2 and go for apple watch?!

0 Likes
userupMEjyLOw6
Constellation
Options
Galaxy Watch

This has been an extremely disappointing watch for my wife. There are so few workouts available. We take HIIT classes and the closest match is cross training.  The classes are vigorous. The calorie counts are very low compared to at least 3 other brands of watches. It seems like the calories are calculated based on straight time. I have seen where the calorie count is identical when the number of minutes of the workout are identical.  In my opinion samsung makes great hardware and has the worst software.  I will be selling this watch on ebay.

0 Likes
userClHPOP1sNL
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy Watch

The calorie count is definitely off on higher intensity workouts, it's way too low. I wear an old Fitbit, and the difference is 75-125+, with the Fitbit being higher. Based off of how I feel, the fitbit is more accurate. And the Samsung is inconsistent... I can do the exact same workout, and theres a 30+ difference. It's so inaccurate. For someone who depends on a fitness watch to stay healthy and thin, this is extremely frustrating. Especially since, no one is doing anything to fix it.