JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Galaxy Watch 4/5/6 series poor GPS Fix performance

(Topic created: 09-21-2022 12:29 PM)
usertlOcykGzxn
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy Watch

Watch seems to be plagued with problems resolving GPS fix when not tethered to a phone.   I went out for a run, without my phone and it took the watch close to 10 minutes to get a GPS Fix.  This severely limits the functionality of the "Outdoor/Fitness" aspect of the watch.

Is there a planned fix?

JUMP TO SOLUTION
104 Replies
user6KuCyUnqSA
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy Watch

Wear GPX Fix does not help for me. Even in the best scenarios for perfect GPS reception - out in the open, no clouds, flat and open landscape - the recorded track is zigzagging wildly, distance and speed are 20% off, the usual as reported by many people here.

To me this doesn't look like a GPS fix issue, I think it's one of two things: Either the built-in radio transmitters are disturbing GPS reception, which would be a fundamental design flaw - or the combined readings of GPS and cell tower triangulation (aka Assisted GPS) give too much priority to the latter, which is a software bug.

Since this used to be working much much better a year ago, I'm leaning towards the software.

RangerDanger
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy Watch
It's sad how long this thread has been up and its still happening, the other week I noticed my 6.2 mile walk was all of a sudden longer and longer to the point where one time it was 8 miles. I also went on a run and after 3:45 it told me I hit a mile!! I was so close to that world record lol. I did a factory reset of the watch and it's better but the map still shows me doing the jack sparrow run......
0 Likes
cwinkler
Comet
Options
Galaxy Watch

I just noticed that after the OneUI5 update I needed to go back into my walking exercise and tell Samsung Health to give me precise recording of location. We'll see what difference this makes the next time I go walking.

CWinkler
Galaxy S24 Ultra, Active4
0 Likes
userTxFePde9hn
Constellation
Options
Galaxy Watch

I am curious if this GPS issue is related to having other applications opened while tracking an exercise. I am using Youtube music and wear the Galaxy buds. Maybe this is a memory issue keeping the location in active memory. I'm going to go for a run and test this.

0 Likes
kirill32337
Constellation
Options
Galaxy Watch

I sent the bug report via samsung members app, if you have same problem, please send it too: GPS does not work. When you start any workout, for example Running or Cycling, after 10 seconds the message “GPS connection error” appears, the green GPS indicator does not stop flashing even after an hour of training in open areas, in clear weather. I tried to run the Wear GPS Fix application, until recently the Fix value and the Found(sattelites) value were always equal to 0. Today I discovered that after running this application for a long time (almost the whole day), the Found value changed to 1, but this did not solve the problem .
#GalaxyWatch4
#SCommunity

Vegebiili
Constellation
Options
Galaxy Watch

I got One UI 5.0 and my GPS stopped working. What i should do?

I have already done full reboot and still wont work. Before the update it worked well

0 Likes
tarant2
Constellation
Options
Galaxy Watch

Another problem with GPS on GW5 Pro.  Since few days altitude on compass app is not working. Appears info: Cannot establish altitude.  Check outside. Sometimes, after minutes altitude appears (until app works in thebackground).

0 Likes
Members_Sk0ywi7
Constellation
Options
Galaxy Watch

Walking the golf course with Watch 6 and S23 Ultra, using Samsung Health walking app on both.  WIFI and Bluetooth turned off so they aren't working together.

Watch reports 2.49 miles.  S23 Ultra reports 3.02 miles -- which is much closer to the real distance.  I have seen the same with other walks.

Watch 6 is useless for tracking distance.

user1E1p0b02Xx
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy Watch

Is this issue finally resolved?

0 Likes
SoggyWhiteBread
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy Watch

Hey all! Discovered that my watch occasionally tracks my walks as if I'm walking in a straight line instead of around curves. It looks like this is normal and does so in such small segments that my path looks curved, but other times it cuts off entire pathways of my walk. Not sure if I'm explaining myself clearly, hopefully these pics provide that clarity. The top looks normal but the bottom is a mess. Any ideas??