Original topic:

Galaxy Watch 5 Pro water proof?

(Topic created: 04-11-2023 10:50 PM)
Tomashal
Constellation
Options
Galaxy Watch

Hello!

I've had two Galaxy Watch Active 2 ruined by water. The first after swimming, the second after just being in the rain.

As I understand, Watch 5 Pro has the same specs (IP68) as the Active 2.The two watches of Active 2 I had, did not meet the specification IP68 after using them for a while.

Does anyone know if Watch 5 pro has better build quality then Active 2? 

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
LongHiker
Legendary Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Galaxy Watch

@Tomashal For clarity... IP68 is water resistant, not waterproof. This rating is based on the factory seals and safeguards being in place and undamaged. 

View solution in context

2 Replies
Solution
LongHiker
Legendary Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Galaxy Watch

@Tomashal For clarity... IP68 is water resistant, not waterproof. This rating is based on the factory seals and safeguards being in place and undamaged. 

Tomashal
Constellation
Options
Galaxy Watch

With IP68 it should cope 30 min under 1.5 m of water. English is not my first language, so I don't know if that should be called 'water resistant' or 'water proof'.

Electric equipment rated IP68, is expected to operate in wet environment. Without have to wipe it dry if it is splashed with water.

You can not damage the seals mechanically. I've opened the watches. You need to unscrew the bottom and use a sharp knife to open it and get close to seals. Or you need a really hard impact to deform the body the watch. By then your own wrist will be broken as well. And if the seals can not stand some sweat, it is definitely not made for sporting.

I've used watches for >40 years (no fancy ones for scuba diving), a lot of sporting outdoors and sweating in both rain and snow. Never broked one because of water inside. Except the two units of Watch Active 2. Therefore I'm not impressed by the quality of them. There is even a built in mode for swimming. If you google, you'll find I'm not the only one who is disappointed with water damaged Active 2.

I really miss out the LTE function the Active 2:s I had. But I'm not going to by another new expensive watch, if you have to be afraid to get it damaged when being outside in the rain with it. Therefore I would like to know if someone experienced similar problems with the Watch 5 Pro.

0 Likes