Location not updating in google maps

(Topic created: 09-08-2022 11:45 PM)
rogiIG
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy Watch

Hello, 

Posting here as i am out of ideas. 

I have a a52s and a galaxy watch 4 - When i put navigation on in google maps it does show up on the watch, but: The location will not update. I am guessing it is not the watch but some settings on the phone as it is getting the location from there when you use google maps as far as i know. 

To elaborate, it will update, but only if i unlock my phone. So if i start navigation and lock my phone, put it in my pocket, location will stop updating on the watch. 

I have given location access at all time for google maps on both watch and phone. Also chosen unrestricted battery use for google maps on the phone. 

Is there any setting i am missing to make this work? 

Most of the reason to get this watch was easy navigation on hand, but if i have to keep the phone screen on and in hand, if like it kind of defeats it purpose..

9 Replies
Options
Galaxy Watch
Make sure Google maps isn't under your sleeping list in device care
0 Likes
rogiIG
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy Watch

Thank you. I checked and Google maps is not on any of the lists there. What's interesting i wanted to add it to never sleeping apps. but it does not show up on the list of apps that can be added. 

0 Likes
rogiIG
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy Watch

So i have been in touch with Samsung support and they  basically said that there is not fix for this - Phone has to stay open/unlocked for navigation to work on the watch. 

danicharuvil
Constellation
Options
Galaxy Watch

Then what's the purpose of having navigation feature on the watch if it is to be used by making the phone on?

I think this is not same on all galaxy watches. 

0 Likes
rogiIG
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy Watch

Yes I don't know about the newer galaxy watches, but also it is not limited by the watch, but by the phone it seems, as I had feedback from people using a non-Samsung phone, where navigation where working fine on the watch, without the phone screen have to be open at all times. 

That said, I cant remember last time I even charged my watch 4, just does not offer enough for what it is.

0 Likes
Solution
Samsung_Moderator
Community Manager
Community Manager
Options
Galaxy Watch

Thank you for reaching out. I can certainly understand your concern with your Galaxy watch's location not updated when the phone screen isn't on, and I would be happy to look into this further for you. After testing on our device, we were able to verify that Google Maps can run in the background with the screen locked. In order to verify your Google Maps and GPS on the watch are set up correctly, I would recommend giving these links a try: https://www.samsung.com/us/support/answer/ANS00089462/ and https://www.samsung.com/us/support/answer/ANS00089182/

If you have tried the troubleshooting steps provided and are still experiencing these symptoms, I would recommend reaching out to our customer service team directly at 1-800-726-7864, so they can remote into your device and verify the set up of your watch and GPS.

0 Likes
Rogue18
Constellation
Options
Galaxy Watch
I've been having that same issue over this past weekend visiting DC. On that same coin I've had issue getting maps to work independently in LTE mode as well. All location options on, remote connection on, my phone connected to 5g with location turned on, and my watch still asks me to connect my phone. I guess there's still no fix for that either. Smh...over a year since this watch released and were still dealing with problems that were there since launch.
Samsung_Fanboy1981
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy Watch

I am having a similar issue with my new Galaxy Watch 5.
It has LTE and it is set to always on. But whenever I use and open Google maps, it constantly opens the app on my phone and only then it starts navigating. If I close it on my phone it closes it always on my watch.
If I disable Bluetooth it says on my phone it cant use google maps and I have to connect the phone first.

What insanity is this. Either a samsung firmware issue or google maps app is being at fault.

I am too old for this! 😉
0 Likes
rogiIG
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy Watch

What you guys are describing is a bit different issue from what I have. I made my peace with the fact that phone has to be connected for navigation - I guess otherwise that poor battery would not last even half a day on the watch. - My problem is when navigation is active on the phone also the screen has to be on - Cant lock it and put it in the pocket - Location wont update then on the watch/phone. 

I posted about it on other forums and basically a guy told me that he does not have this issue on his Redmi.

So it is not really a watch issue, but phone limitations. 

rogiIG_1-1662706033956.png

But yeah hilarious that Samsung did not manage to implement some kind of settings for this. 

Been a happy Xiaomi user for years, why did I jump on the Samsung bandwagon now...

0 Likes