JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

New Galaxy Watch does not count steps

(Topic created: 09-01-2018 04:10 PM)
Options
Galaxy Watch

Hi! Just got my Galaxy Watch yesterday. And already today it stopped counting steps. It counted a little and then all together quit. I reset it multiple times and after the third time it counted 50 steps and quit again. Any one else is having this issue?

446 Replies
Options
Galaxy Watch

Yes itsi been very frustrating... Hopefully Samsung will do something soon. Thank you for all your help.

0 Likes
AngelRyder
Constellation
Options
Galaxy Watch

I just received mine today and it wasn't counting any steps. Of course support is dumb founded with no help at all. So I rebooted it and an update actually poped up as soon as it came back on from the reboot. I did the update which was for S Health and it works great now. Look to see if you have an update now?

0 Likes
usercHmvWe6GPx
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy Watch

No updates available for S Health but I do believe it has something to do with the app. I changed the settings in S Health for counting steps from just Galaxy Watch to All Steps and it seems to be working a little better. However, it is still way off. Need a fix Samsung!

0 Likes
userD6pmJCLmWv
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy Watch

I did the same, removed auto detection for all and changed setting to all steps as opposed to just watch. Now works perfectly.

0 Likes
userKMyus215EI
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy Watch

That's because it's calculating your steps that your phone detected.  The watch itself didn't calculate them and hasn't been fixed.

userEbGR5EwIVu
Constellation
Options
Galaxy Watch

This is my experience and why you should take step devices and apps with a grain of salt.  My husband, son, daughter in law and I frequently go on nature hikes around our State.  Before I got my watch we had 2 Apple watches, a fit bit and 2 apps on my Samsung phone (moves and s health).  Except for the maybe 100 steps we walk at home before we drive to our destinations, we all walk together.  Our devices and apps have varied often more than 1000 steps or 1/2 mile.  My opinion is the apps and devices are not accurate but that said anything that gets people moving is a good thing.  Actually today my watch has recorded about 900 steps less than phone which is consistent with what I said before.  Another thing which is probably a watch issue is it does have a serious step lag.  I've notice that it often will add steps when you check time after you have been inactive.  Deactivating the auto detects works especially since the walking one says healthy pace and most of us when shopping or at home are not walking at a healthy pace.

0 Likes
userEbGR5EwIVu
Constellation
Options
Galaxy Watch

Making a second post here because I have now come to the conclusion that nothing is wrong with the watch.  Went to the grocery store today watch on arm phone in pocket.  No steps counted on watch.  Steps counted on phone.  I will try to explain now why this works this way and is correct with watch being fine.  Your phone and watch are not a two way street they are a one way street.  Data is only transferred from watch to phone not vice versa. Therefore when the watch and phone are together it only counts steps on phone.  Let's say I walked 1000 steps in store and both the watch and phone counted steps then when I opened app on my phone my watch would transfer that 1000 steps to my phone so I would have 1000 steps I didn't walk.  If you want your total steps you will have to check the Samsung health app on your phone as your watch is only going to count the steps you walk when your phone isn't near you and will transfer that data to your phone.

0 Likes
Tperez225
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy Watch

It sounds like you may be new to how the Samsung watches and phones communicate with each other.  You are correct in that you need to have the appropriate settings in Samsung health for it to work.  That being said I think many of us who have posted on this board already know that and have things set up correctly already.

Things I've tried.....

Turning off auto detects on various workouts

Making sure steps aren't on watch face

All updates

Resets and all updates

I've exchanged the watch 2 times on my 3rd

I've called customer service and after 2 hours  their BRILLIANT fix is  to either send my watch in because per their tracking this isn't a known issue.  Honestly that response is infuriating.  I was told that not enough people have "called" in.  Basically Samsung does a horrible job of tracking all input methods.  There are a ton of posts in the Samsung community, plus I know they've had returns (there are 2 in my local Sprint store alone), calls, social media, live chat - apparently they expect us to touch base on all forums so everyone knows it's an issue - which is maddening.  Sorry, I digress, options - either send in for repair or return the watch.  Seriously I was told to return the watch.  I've owned several models of Samsung watches dating back to 2013 and I've never had this problem.

Anyway I'm still not sure what I'm going to do.  I was asked several times during my call what I expected them to do?  My response was the same EVERY time FIX THE PROBLEM.  This has been going on for MONTHS.  Many of us are loyal Samsung customers.  My family alone has 4 phones (which replaced 4 other Samsung phones,) 2 watches, & 3 TVs.  I've literally spent tens of thousands of dollars on Samsung products - your customers deserve better.  If a recall is necessary then that's fine own up to it but fix the freaking problem.

Birdymom
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy Watch

Got my refund no more aggravation

Birdymom
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy Watch

ROFL The watch is standalone it has nothing to do with the phone count.  When the phone has 3,000 steps MORE than the watch and my 2 Neos and 2 Gear S2s have 3,000 MORE than the phone ,there is problem.