Original topic:

Samsung apps running in the background

(Topic created: 04-16-2024 09:09 AM)
JRStewart
Halo
Options
Galaxy Watch

Galaxy Wearable Music, SOS, etc randomly run in the background on Galaxy Watch 4 even when I don't use the apps. I stop them from running in the background and lo and behold, they show up just minutes later running in the background again. This was never an issue before this one UI 5/Wear OS4 update. Samsung please, please fix this ASAP. 

80 Replies
MarvinMod2
Comet
Options
Galaxy Watch
I recently purchased a galaxy watch 4 classic and noticed Samsung health running in the background and can not be stopped. Is this normal or how do i stop it from running in the background when not in use? 
0 Likes
MikenSam
Halo
Options
Galaxy Watch
I don't know if it's the same on a classic 4 but on my classic 6 i swipe up on the screen to bring up my app list and tap recent and it shows all running apps and tap it and it will ask if you want to close all running apps and tap to confirm
0 Likes
MarvinMod2
Comet
Options
Galaxy Watch
On the watch 4, i can close all apps. Then there is an app running in background, i click that and its Samsung health, i click that and it says, app can not be stopped. I have to go into apps and force stop samsung health to stop it from running in background.
0 Likes
MarvinMod2
Comet
Options
Galaxy Watch
Whats harmful and dont use what?
0 Likes
LongHiker
Legendary Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Galaxy Watch

@MarvinMod2 This is normal. How else is it going to record your activity, heart rate, etc.?

0 Likes
MarvinMod2
Comet
Options
Galaxy Watch
Okay so i can accept that they are needed for the heart rates ect but why does it continually run in the background when not in use. I have it set to manual. I also have auto activity off. It runs in the background when i use thise features but when im done, it needs to be able to be closed from running in the background as its not needed till i manually use it again. Just seems like a waste of battery life. I fould that if i force stop samsung health and health platform. It doesn't run in the background until i open any health services which has significantly gained more battery life. Just annoying having to manually force stop those 2.
0 Likes
LongHiker
Legendary Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Galaxy Watch

@MarvinMod2 Samsung Health is intrinsically integrated into the watch. The normal usage is that it runs continually and detects activity and body conditions. That is why it runs continually. You asked if this was normal and it is. 

You have an unusual and unintended usage. 

0 Likes
MarvinMod2
Comet
Options
Galaxy Watch
So, Samsung and a few others saying its normal for Samsung health and health platform to run in the background. Well, here is my findings...
First i understand they run in the background if you have heart rate and stress set to every 10 min or continuously, but when its set to manual, whats the point of it running in the background if your not using the services? The battery consumption is significant. I ran the watch for 2 days with everything set to manual and samsung health and health services running in the background. From 730am full charge till 4pm id have 35 to 40 percent battery. Then for 2 days i kept those two from running in the background for the same times and by 4pm battery life was around 80 percent. I have them set to manual so the service isn't needed till i run a manual scan which had no issues.
So, conclusion is that Samsung health and health services running in the background and cant be closed is definitely draining the battery even if your not using the service and set to manual.
Heres how i kept it out of the background.
Set heart monitor and stress to manual, go into setting, apps and force stop health services and samsung health. Reboot. They will run in the background again if you start a manual scan, when done, force close them again. Enjoy longer battery life.šŸ––
0 Likes
JWill22
Constellation
Options
Galaxy Watch

Is there a way to disable streaming thru the watch? I just want to listen to pods from my S23 directly to my Galaxy buds2 and not control via the watch.  "Show media controls" is turned off on watch, but pods continue to play on watch and drain battery.  I've tried all I can find on the web, no luck.

realaud
Honored Contributor
Options
Galaxy Watch

Did you unpair the buds from your watch?

0 Likes