JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Unable to back up Galaxy watches manually on One UI 5, backs up via Smart Switch

(Topic created: 08-08-2023 09:41 PM)
Robin621k
Neutron Star
Options
Galaxy Watch

Why in the world would you take away the ability to back up our watches manually in the Wearable app? Make it make sense, I have to wait for what is now "PERIODICALLY" to back up my watch, how often is periodically? If you switch to store backups to Samsung Cloud, how does that work, when does that happen?

If anyone knows the answer please let me know!
JUMP TO SOLUTION
164 Replies
VerbumVeritum
Legendary Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Galaxy Watch
Have you checked in the Galaxy Wearables app? It should be in watch Sertings under accounts and backup.
andre23
Halo
Options
Galaxy Watch
It appears it being done through smart switch automatically. Last backup occurred in Jul 2023. But where would I find on smart switch be make sure what is being backed up from the watch
BombBiologist
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy Watch
I too would like to know what's being backed up. Also does each new backup erase any previous backups? On Galaxy Wearable app it's only showing me the most recent backup.
andre23
Halo
Options
Galaxy Watch
Does the watch now need to be backed up to a external storage now? Not every phone has a sd slot now
BombBiologist
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy Watch
I'd also like to know if it's possible to backup externally so that we have an extra copy in case anything goes wrong with the backup file.
Russ_H
Constellation
Options
Galaxy Watch

That is a really bad idea. If anything goes wrong with the automatic process, and with SaaS models taking hold things are constantly breaking, the only recourse the user has is a manual backup.

The only thing I can think that would cause Samsung to do this is allowing users to manually backup might cause a bunch of unnecessary updates to the Samsung cloud. Is that the problem here? Was it too hard to code using storage on the phone for the backup, and only uploading to the cloud every 24 hours, instead of only backing up every 24 hours?

Because I have a big problem with anything automatic in the Android ecosystem. It almost always goes wrong at some point. I want a failsafe. You have taken it away.

KenzoJumps
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy Watch

My backup fails every night because it can't connect to smart switch. Without a manual backup, I have no backups 

buzz22
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy Watch
Hey guys so for whatever reason I am unable to tell my watch 6 to manually backup, I can see my old backups and it does backup on Its own I just can't tell it to backup manually. Any thoughts? 
buzz22
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy Watch
Included this pic as wellScreenshot_20230817_144437_Galaxy Watch6 Manager.jpg
ChaosSaber
Neutron Star
Options
Galaxy Watch
Yeah can't manually backup anymore, its automatically backed up