Original topic:

Watch 7 Ultra: Heart rate sensor with tattoos

(Topic created: 07-30-2024 02:14 PM)
throwingcircles
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy Watch

Hi all.

While I am enjoying my Watch 7 Ultra, I am disappointed that the watch does not work with the Heart Rate sensor and tattoos. Considering this watch is designed for the "fitness enthusiast," I would assume that a fair percentage of us are tattooed.

Google released an update in June that got the Pixel Watch and Pixel Watch 2 to work on my sleeve tattooed arm, my Heart Rate worked just fine.

Is this something that Samsung can do, or has any plans to do?

To be clear, this has nothing to do with notifications and the wrist detection items. I get notifications, and have disabled wrist detection. This is squarely aimed at the fact that the HR sensor on a brand new watch does not work where other watches from other companies do.

33 Replies
realaud
Honored Contributor
Options
Galaxy Watch

As I understand it, that if you have tattoos around the wrist area, you should turn off wrist detection.  I don't know if that helps with the sensors, but perhaps it is not detecting because it doesn't think it's on your wrist.  And, I dare to say it is erroneous to assume that "fitness enthusiasts" are tattooed, or tattooed on their wrists.

0 Likes
throwingcircles
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy Watch

Yeah, I have disabled wrist detection, but if I leave it on, I don't get notifications, nor do I get a HR reading. So that way, is a lose lose situation.

realaud
Honored Contributor
Options
Galaxy Watch
Are you tattooed on both wrists? You can change the orientation of the watch if you want to switch wrists.
0 Likes
throwingcircles
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy Watch

Depending on the workout,  I will switch wrists so I can get an accurate HR. Having the ability to have it work like my Pixel Watch 2 did on my tattooed skin would be great though.

0 Likes
Options
Galaxy Watch
I have the Galaxy watch ultra too same thing had to turn off rist detection I brought this to Samsung's attention so somewhere along the line I'm sure there will be a software update for our watches
0 Likes
throwingcircles
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy Watch

I hope they do indeed get this to work. I like the watch, minus this fact of the HR sensors not working. Let me know if you hear of any updates on this.

TexMexinFL
Constellation
Options
Galaxy Watch
I just received my Ultra watch also. Same problem as U and I have sleeves on both arms. HR doesn't work and I can't use any of the gestures, which I do like answering a call like that or dismissing a notification. Hope samsung Def does something to fix this.
0 Likes
Bweekzzz
Constellation
Options
Galaxy Watch

And there you go. Only goes to prove that Samsung and Apple CHOOSE not to fix the problem. (My apple watch 5 didn't work either) I was using a Whoop band for a short time, which have the same sensors, and had the heart rate detection problem due to my tattoos. Emailed their support team, and the next day I had an update pushed too the band and the heart rate detection worked perfectly. 

0 Likes
throwingcircles
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy Watch

I have heard that Whoop is quite responsive to their customers. It is a bummer that this does not work.

I was able to get my Apple Watch 1, 2 and 3 to work with the epoxy sticker trick, and that was like 6 years ago when I last had their products.

This is a highly wanted feature, Samsung should just make it happen already.

0 Likes