Original topic:

HDMI Not Permitted with Tivo

(Topic created: Friday)
sparklez867
Constellation
Options
LED and OLED TVs

I have a Samsung UN65K6290FXZA and I am frequently getting "HDMI not permitted" when I am watching through my Tivo Edge box  . My Apple TV works fine and I actually get audio  (even with the error message displayed) -- but no picture. Through a mixture of unplugging the HDMI cable and moving it to another input, turning off the TV, switching to a new cable, it comes back after 15 min of annoyance. I' not even sure which one ends up solving it.   Is there anything I can do to avoid this? 

5 Replies
SMASNUG100
Halo
Options
LED and OLED TVs
https://tivoidp.tivo.com/tivoCommunitySupport/s/article/DVR-is-Displaying-Viewing-is-Not-Permitted-T...
If you see "Viewing is not permitted using the TiVo Digital Media Recorder's HDMI output. Try another TV input..." or a similar message, it means that the TiVo device is not receiving an HDCP key back from the television. To comply with the HDMI copy protection standard, the TiVo device must receive an HDCP (High-Bandwidth Digital Content Protection) key back from the television before it can decode the signal and allow you to view or record programming.
0 Likes
sparklez867
Constellation
Options
LED and OLED TVs

Hey thanks for your help. I actually tried that first and it doesnt seem to immediately work.  I have to turn the tv on and off, use different cables, and just wait it seems. From a bit of online research, I read that some people have had luck using an HDMI splitter..it seems so odd that that would work. I’d think that would be harder to get the signal since it’s making a stop first at the splitter? Thanks again for helping me, I struggle  with this stuff!

SMASNUG100
Halo
Options
LED and OLED TVs
You might want to try a different cable too. The really really cheap ones don't have computer chips And instead the wires are just directly connected to both sides and that can cause the data connection to break
0 Likes
sparklez867
Constellation
Options
LED and OLED TVs

I bought a 4K one  and I thought that solved it, since I had no errors for two weeks, but then I got the error message again yesterday. I bought the Highwings HW-8K-2M-001. Cable. Would you consider that a good one?

0 Likes
Samsung_Moderator
Community Manager
Community Manager
Options
LED and OLED TVs

Hi @sparklez867!  We appreciate you reaching out to the community.  The television isn't 8K compatible, so it may not work the way that you're hoping.  Your best bet would be to purchase one from samsungparts.com to promise compatibility.  Here is the link to them: 

https://samsungparts.com/search?q=HDMI%20cable

If you have any additional questions, don't hesitate to reach back out to us!

0 Likes