JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Best NVMe Driver for 980 Pro & Windows 11

(Topic created: 02-19-2022 09:03 AM)
jgkurz
Constellation
Options
Monitors and Memory

Hello, I just installed a new Samsung 980 Pro 2TB in my Dell laptop with an i7-1195G7 and Windows 11.  Everything seems to be fine so far. Booting and performance don't seem to be an issue. The M.2 slot in my laptop is PCIe 3.0 so speeds are not maxing out the 980 Pro but speeds are still decent. 

Question: Magician is reporting the Microsoft NVMe driver in use. According to Samsung's website, the Samsung NVMe driver v3.3 does not support the 980 Pro. Is the Microsoft driver the best option at this point?

Is a Samsung NVMe driver for the 980 Pro expected at some point?

Thank you,

John

3 Replies
Solution
user751201tmO21
Honored Contributor
Options
Monitors and Memory
The 980 Pro doesn't have dedicated drivers. If it's recognized and formatable, as in your case, leave it be.

If the drive is not detected, let's say, during the installation of Windows afresh, then you'd have seek out something like the Intel RST drivers.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000058724/memory-and-storage.html

I have two 980 Pros as the main drives in my openSuse Tumbleweed (the main OS) desktop machine running an Asus ROG Crosshair Hero motherboard, 128gb RAM and have installed four Linux distro to each drive without requiring drivers. The Linux installers could see the drives no prob.
userMGy1i5svMT
Astronaut
Options
Monitors and Memory

Here is a generic Samsung 980 Pro SSD driver I use all the time. Just import the Win-RAID CA certificate. Then install driver thru Device manager.

Samsung_NVMe_driver_v3.3.0.2003 

0 Likes
user3jICreG7JB
Astronaut
Options
Monitors and Memory

My 250GB 980Pro is writing too slowly (580MB/S instead of 2.7GB/s at first time).

Last firmware does not solve the problem 5B2QGXA7

Samsung Magician 7.11

R9 3950X/X570 Win10 x64 21H2 up to date, last AMD drivers/Bios.

Two ways to solve it?

1. Downgrade FW to 3B2QGXA7 -> seems not to be possible in magician and Iso method.

2. Update driver MS to Samsung ?

So :

How do you install this driver in device manager?

in storage controler -> instead of NVM Express standard controler ?

or in drive disk -> Samsung SSD 980 PRO ?

Regards.

0 Likes