Original topic:

Odyssey OLED G93SC: Screen Blackout Issue Post Firmware Update 1006.3

(Topic created: a month ago)
Shwinnx
Asteroid
Options
Monitors and Memory

Hello Forum Members,

I'm reaching out for assistance regarding a problem I've encountered with my Odyssey OLED G93SC DQHD 49" 0.03ms(GtG) 240Hz HDR True Black 400 FreeSync Premium Pro Curved Gaming Monitor (Model: LS49CG932SNXZA). After updating the firmware to Version 1006.3, I've been experiencing an issue where the screen randomly goes black for about 15 seconds and then comes back on. This happens without any warning and is becoming quite a concern, especially as it disrupts my work.

Has anyone else experienced this issue? If so, were you able to resolve it, and how? Any advice or suggestions on troubleshooting steps would be greatly appreciated. I'm keen to understand if this is a common problem post-update and if there are any recommended solutions.

Thank you in advance for your help and support.

Warmen
Constellation
Options
Monitors and Memory

Even though for G95SC , issue has been resolved:

https://us.community.samsung.com/t5/Monitors-and-Memory/Odyssey-OLED-G9-Firmware-1310-Settings-Rever...

Redit link at the bottom as of the latest update is the conversation between myself and another user , problem was solved for both of us. The conversation reflects the steps conducted at the time of repair tech visit. 

0 Likes
Cthugha
Constellation
Options
Monitors and Memory

Hi,
The link is not working. How was it resolved for the G95SC? (I have a G93SC)

0 Likes
Cthugha
Constellation
Options
Monitors and Memory

Same problem here. The monitor randomly goes black for 3-5 seconds. No Windows disconnect sound/event. It happens in desktop, in apps, in games, etc.

G93SC model without Tizen OS. Latest firmware. It started happening in early February, and I updated the firmware in mid January.

Samsung technical support sent me directly to their service center to have the monitor looked at there... But I use it daily for both work and gaming, so I'm reluctant to be without it for days/weeks...

I'll try running it at 120hz for a while, to see if that's a temporary workaround until a new firmware is released.

0 Likes
Warmen
Constellation
Options
Monitors and Memory

Running 5120x1440 , 240hz, HDR on, VRR on , Gsync On, 12 bit colors on HDMI 2.1b

Peak brightness settings reversed- off" is actually brightest setting which is essential for HDR.

HDMI black level settings reversed - normal is low and low is normal 

No HDMI black level control option when Gsync disabled -  When Gsync is disabled,  above mentioned HDMI black level setting is blocked which I cannot find a reasonable explanation for.  This ties into the primary issue many users are having:

Frequent black screens, screen goes black for 1-2 seconds, some users longer and then the picture returns.  According to Samsung this is Gsync related. I did try Gsync off in Nvidia control panel and did not manage getting another black screen therefore I have to believe Samsung here yet some users are reporting the issue coming back after some time. By all means this is isn't a solution however workaround for some for the time being ,if you don't care about loosing HDMI black level control.  According to Samsung they are aware of the issue and currently working on the fix.  Major question here is :

SAMSUNG WHEN? 

UPDATE 02/27/2024: Followed up on the issue with Samsung. Nothing for an update other than:

I understand and no worry, as I will personally monitor the ticket to check the status from time to time to ensure that you will be updated.

Thank you for patiently waiting! Ticket has been successfully submitted with ticket number: 2300705443. Please expect to receive an update within the next 24 to 48 hours.

UPDATE 03/23/2024 (problem solved)

0 Likes
Cthugha
Constellation
Options
Monitors and Memory

How was the problem solved for you? Do you have the G95SC model and the new firmware update solved it? There's no firmware update released yet for the G93SC.

Also, why are you running the screen with 12 bit color depth? The panel is only 10 bit, and doesn't support Dolby Vision. Setting it to 12 bit might work but it's "fake" as you'd be using FRC with its drawbacks.

0 Likes
Shwinnx
Asteroid
Options
Monitors and Memory

Currently, the firmware version for the model ending in G93SC (non smart version) is still at 1006.3.

The smart version of this monitor has received a firmware update; however, I can't comment on its impact, as we're still seeking a solution for the non-smart version. It's crucial for us to keep reaching out and submitting tickets to Samsung.

LB8442
Astronaut
Options
Monitors and Memory

Same problem over here.

I have the "smart" version of the monitor, RTX4090 with G-SYNC enabled, windowed fullscreen at native resolution (5120x1440). Black screen for a few seconds every now and then, usually at the worst possible time.

I've only noticed it after the update to 1402, but can't rule out it was there before (didn't have a graphic card that could drive gaming at native resolution before).

Very disappointing, I hope this gets fixed.

0 Likes
Shwinnx
Asteroid
Options
Monitors and Memory

It seems the issue persists, even with the latest Nvidia driver updates, as it's occurring more frequently. I managed to contact Samsung, but their troubleshooting was minimal—very basic, Tier 1 steps. Despite my insistence that the problem lies in the firmware, they insisted on sending a technician to diagnose the issue. I'm unsure how this will resolve, but I'll update as soon as it's complete. If anyone has found a solution to this problem, especially for the non-smart version of the monitor, please share your resolution. Thank you!

EDIT: From what I've read from others a technician will come out and typically just replace the mainboard rather this resolves the issue is a 50/50 shot.

0 Likes
Cthugha
Constellation
Options
Monitors and Memory

I had Samsung Service replace the monitor (G93SC) mainboard two days ago and I haven't seen the issue since. Before that I tried everything. The monitor is now running a older firmware (1005.2), so the latest firmware (1006.3) could potentially be the cause. I'm hesitant to update the firmware now, or wait for a future release... I have encountered a new issue with flickering in some games, which seems to be related to VRR/AS/G-Sync. Enabling the "VRR Control" workaround option in the monitor solves this but introduces game latency/sluggishness and crashes. Perhaps that's solved in the 1006.3 firmware...

But the solution seems to be either mainboard replacement and/or switching to older firmware. And I don't think you can downgrade the firmware (without assistance from Samsung Service)?

0 Likes