JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Samsung 970evo & Samsung 970evo plus drives stuck in (READY TO ENABLE FOR HARDWARE ENCRYPTION)

(Topic created: 01-18-2021 06:47 AM)
userrxP2CPVBrl
Constellation
Options
Monitors and Memory

I have been troubleshooting my 970evo500gb for the past 3 days now with no sucess on enabling hardware encryption through windows bitlocker  as (drive C: or as a data drive) so today i popped in a brandnew 970evoplus into my system and same problem doesnt enable hardware encryption on this brandnew drive as well so after all my troubleshooting i came to the conclusion that the firmwares on the 970evo series are FLAWED...and i followed all steps to ensure i was following the  instructions to enable hardware encryption because i also have 2 other samsung drives (850EVO&960EVO) on which i have sucessfully enabled hardware encryption on both drives as (DRIVE C: and as DATA DRIVE)

850EVO enabled hardware encryption

960EVO enabled hardware encryption

970EVO FAILED   hardware encryption(Firmware:2B2QEXE7)

970EVO PLUS FAILED   hardware encryption(Firmware:2B2QEXM7)

things i have tried

1.Secure erase

2.PSID revert

3.PSID erase

4.PSID unlock

so the firmware on the 970s is flawed or can samsung provide me with a new firmware to enable hardware encryption on my 970s or do i return the drives for warranty because i bought these drives under the assumption that i was buying a hardware encryption enabled drive and if i cant seem to enable hardware encryption on my drives then this is false advertising by samsung and i would like my MONEY BACK !

0 Likes
4 Replies
Sweetz94
Astronaut
Options
Monitors and Memory
Just had a quick question. I can't connect to my WiFi. when I scan for it, it's not there
0 Likes
userrxP2CPVBrl
Constellation
Options
Monitors and Memory

you have to be connected to the internet to view status of encryption

0 Likes
Solution
userrxP2CPVBrl
Constellation
Options
Monitors and Memory

seems samsung was no help they werent willing to help me with anything related to bitlocker but...it seems i have found the solution samsung seems to use a different way to encrypt drives starting from the 970 evo series... so basically i had to preinstall some inf drivers during setup inorder to get the drive enabled and also have it use hardware encryption in windows as a data drive as well without these drivers installed for x570 chipset on amd platform i wasnt able to enable hardware encryption but for the 850 and 960 evo i was able to enable the drives and use encryption without installing any drivers 

0 Likes
userXYciXETnoE
Constellation
Options
Monitors and Memory

eDrive definitely works on the 970 and plus evo series.  I have been able to enable it on a Thinkpad T480 and a Thinkcentre M90n-1 (both OPAL and edrive modes with Windows 10) However, the problem you are having, and why I was successful and you were not is because my hardware supports both EFI_STORAGE_SECURITY_COMMAND_PROTOCOL and I believe you also need modern standby support.  You are likely missing the first requirement since it's an X570 chipset.

If you are really wanting hardware encryption against your 970, you're betting off going with the TCG OPAL 2.0 route.  You don't even need UEFI firmware enabled with most of the management software out there for it.  The downside of course, is you need third party management software to support it as bitlocker cannot support it since it only supports it in conjucntionwith IEEE 1667 ("eDrive").  The more effective ones all cost money.