Original topic:

Samsung 990 Pro 1TB Failed To Update Firmware (4B2QJXD7)

(Topic created: 12-14-2023 12:45 AM)
MK300
Constellation
Options
Monitors and Memory

I'm trying to update my SSD to the latest firmware using Samsung Magician, but I can't get it to work after trying almost every trick in the book. (Currently on Version: 3B2QJXD7 trying to update to Version: 4B2QJXD7)

I have rebooted multiple times, tried 3 different Wifi networks, and stopped all other programs from running. Nothing seems to work.

Magician simply won't download the update, and it won't tell me why. It simply says "Failed to update".

I am aware that the update can be downloaded separately and installed using Linux "the hard way", but frankly I shouldn't have to do that, and i've never done it before so i'm not comfortable with it. 

It seems like the only solution is to uninstall Samsung Magician and not bother updating the firmware? 

67 Replies
Graaf Dirk III
Asteroid
Options
Monitors and Memory

Thank you. I will take this into consideration. I suppose that there will be a lot of work involved with swapping the slots, because the OS migrates then too. As the problem is unmistakenly caused by a bug in the Magician software, Smamsung should mend it anyway.

0 Likes
Graaf Dirk III
Asteroid
Options
Monitors and Memory

In my first message (Friday), I forgot to mention that Samsung Magician after starting the update process before it counts down to shut down, reports that the download of the firmware is completed. So everything looks going well.

As I wrote the computer is shut off "roughly" without a restart as it is usually done after a (important) driver update. I have to restart the computer by pushing the on/off mainswitch. After that Windows opens with it's recovery screen instead of it's welcome screen. This recovery screen is apparently always shown at restart after any important driver update.  So, that is not specific related to Samsung Magician.

Is there any Memory product expert who can give an answer?

0 Likes
Graaf Dirk III
Asteroid
Options
Monitors and Memory

Today I tried the "Linux firmware utility". This is available at
https://semiconductor.samsung.com/consumer-storage/support/tools/
The "NVMe SSD-990 PRO Series Firmware ISO 4B2QJXD7 | 36MB" (iso image file) is the first one in the list "Samsung storage firmware". There is a manual too: "SATA SSD-Firmware Installation Guide 0.45MB" (the last one in the list).

I followed the instructions (create a bootable USB memory stick from the ISO file with "UNetbootin", restart the computer from it).

Unfortunately this fails too:

Instead of starting the "Samsung SSD Firmware Update Utility" for SSD's to be scanned and detected, an error massage appears:
<
error: bad shim signature.
error: you need to load the kernel first.
Press any key to continue...
<

I just wait a few seconds, without doing anything,  and there appears:
<
Failed to boot both default and failback entries.
Press any key to continue...
<

Now I pressed <enter> and there appears:
<
GNU GRUB version 2.06
An entry window with "Samsung" highlighted to select as one and only option. And:
"Use the up and down keys to select which entry is highlighted. Press enter to boot the selected OS. 'e' to edit the commands before booting or 'c' for a command-line"
<

I pressed 'c' and there appears:
<
GNU GRUB version 2.06
Minimal BASH-like line editing is supported. For the first word, TAB lists possible command completions. Anywhere else TAB lists possible device or file completions. ESC at any time exits.
grub> _ (blinking underscore waiting for a command)
<

There stops my knowledge of Linux and I type 'exit', which results in restarting the computer to Windows without any problems or changes. Anyway the Linux kernel appears to be absent in the ISO image file, where it should be when used for a windows computer.

Samsung should do some maintenance.

0 Likes
Graaf Dirk III
Asteroid
Options
Monitors and Memory

I found out from the Linux error messages that the problem has to do with the "secure boot" option, which is provided in all modern BIOS in combination with Windows UEFI mode. 

0 Likes
Graaf Dirk III
Asteroid
Options
Monitors and Memory

Keep on trying. I succeeded in running the "Samsung SSD Firmware Update Utility Ver. 3.1" under Linux. I had to change some BIOS settings to disable "secure boot". Therefore (of course) a switch from "Windows UEFI mode" to "Other OS" was needed.

After these setting changes, the computer boots in Linux and the "Samsung SSD Firmware Update Utility Ver. 3.1" gives a warning (don't switch off power supply). After pressing a key to continue the scanning process begins. Unfortunately it results in: "No supported SSD detected for firmware update!!!" and "Press any key to EXIT...". The utility is apparently executed fine, but it did not detect the SSD which still is not updated.

0 Likes
Peshko
Asteroid
Options
Monitors and Memory

Peshko_0-1706308528078.png

@Memory Product Expert -1  Here is what Magician tells me. Now, for the 1TB installed the update without any issues. For both 2TB cannot install the update. Regardless of how many times I tried. I disabled the security software, no VPN, etc. Nothing works. Every time I click "Update" it downloads, reboots and nothing happens.

0 Likes
Graaf Dirk III
Asteroid
Options
Monitors and Memory

@Peshko You have got exactly the same problem as I have (I only have one 2 TB SSD instead of two). Let's wait and see what Samsung comes up with.

0 Likes
Peshko
Asteroid
Options
Monitors and Memory

@Graaf Dirk III Seems like it. I tried to run from a USB, but that didn't work either. I called Samsung, and the guy on the phone was absolutely clueless

0 Likes
Graaf Dirk III
Asteroid
Options
Monitors and Memory

@Peshko Indeed, this subject is to complicated for the average helpdesk. Let's see if this conversation ends up at a higher level.šŸ˜Ž

0 Likes
Hellwarrior
Astronaut
Options
Monitors and Memory

Hello. Is there any news yet on how to fix the problem? I have two Samsung SSD 990 Pro with two TB in my MSI notebook. Both bought at the same time, installed in the same notebook. The first SSD was successfully updated to firmware 4B2QJXD7, the second was not. Not even after several attempts or via the update CD. Thank you.

0 Likes