Samsung G8 won't connect to my notebooks

(Topic created: 3 weeks ago)
Will Avila
Asteroid
Options
Monitors and Memory

Hello there,

I'm losing my mind over this problem.

I bought the Odyssey OLED G8 last week, and I still haven't been able to use it! Despite trying different types of cables and approaches, my notebooks didn't recognize the monitor, even when I tried changing the settings on the monitor to force a USB-C or DP connection.

• My MacBook Pro M3 Pro has USB-C Thunderbolt and HDMI ports.
  • My Dell notebook has USB-C 3.0 and HDMI ports.
    • WillAvila_0-1723213595922.png

I’ve already tried:

• USB-C to USB-C cable (10 Gbps) which came with my ps5;
  • DP to USB-C (Thunderbolt) which I purchased recently.

What can I do, or which cables will work in my case?

I just bought a micro HDMI 2.1 to HDMI cable, but it will take a while to arrive, and I'm worried it won’t work. Should I wait for the cable to see if it’ll be successful, or should I return the monitor because it won't work with my notebooks?

Thanks, mates!

5 Replies
Samsung_Moderator
Community Manager
Community Manager
Options
Monitors and Memory

Hello @Will Avila! Thank you for reaching out! I would recommend waiting for the micro HDMI to HDMI cable to see if that works. But only if that will leave you with enough time to be able to get an exchange/return, so you can make sure that it works. As from my research I have been seeing this should solve the issue. But if you are not out of the return window before it arrives an exchange/return would be recommended.

Will Avila
Asteroid
Options
Monitors and Memory

Thanks, mate! That makes sense.

Can I ask you for some guidance about other types of cables as well? Because seems like I'm using the correct ones, but I'm not sure how to make it work using "USB-C to USB-C (3.1 gen2 10G)" and "DP to USB-C (Thunderbolt4)".

Do you have any tips on this?

Thank you!

Best,

Will

0 Likes
ddaniel51
Red Giant
Options
Monitors and Memory

This should be a:  Pardon the font size..

Bidirectional USB C to DisplayPort 1.4 Cable

such as: https://www.amazon.com/Cable-Matters-DisplayPort-USB-C-Supporting/dp/B01J6DT070?th=1

This is what  the M3 Pro can do:  Don't know about the Dell.

M3 Pro

• Simultaneously supports full native resolution on the built-in display at 1 billion colors and:
  • Up to two external displays with up to 6K resolution at 60Hz over Thunderbolt, or one external display with up to 6K resolution at 60Hz over Thunderbolt and one external display with up to 4K resolution at 144Hz over HDMI
  • One external display supported at 8K resolution at 60Hz or one external display at 4K resolution at 240Hz over HDMI.
  •  
ddaniel51
Red Giant
Options
Monitors and Memory

The GeForce 330mx in the  notebook is a 4 year old low end entry level gpu.   Good luck

0 Likes
Solution
Will Avila
Asteroid
Options
Monitors and Memory

Hey, mates!
This one worked like a charm with the MacBook Pro M3 Pro and the Dell Vostro: https://www.amazon.com.br/dp/B0BXKHT7RM

"UGREEN 8K Micro HDMI to HDMI Cable 6.6FT, 2.1 Aluminum Shell Braided 48Gbps Ultra High Speed 8K@60Hz, 4K@240Hz Support HDR eARC Dolby Compatible with GoPro Raspberry Pi 5 Camera Nikon"

Thanks god and Ugreen!

0 Likes