JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Steam Link will no longer be available on Samsung TV

(Topic created: 10-17-2023 10:33 AM)
MI6
Asteroid
Options
Projectors & Other TVs

Well done Samsung (and Valve)! After making the xclud app exclusive for your brand and once the abk deal was done for Microsoft it's time to take away the competition, yes the Steam Link app will no longer be available on Samsung TV after November 30th 2023 and will be likely automatically uninstalled from our TVs just to mess with us consumers, better be prepared for antitrust and class actions lawsuits for both the suspicious timing and for taking away an advertised TV feature

EDIT:

In chronological order the steam link app was made by Samsung with a third party dev and collaboration from Valve 2016(+) and was heavily advertised as a Samsung TV feature. Once a deal was made with Microsoft for the xcloud TV exclusive the steam link app was put on support only and not available on models from that year 2022(+) and onwards. After the two years and actively sabotaging the Steam link app with the volume on the right stick thing and forcing the TV OS home menu on the controller home key the app will be now forcebly removed from our TV even if it could work perfectly fine a few days before the abk deal was made... So Microsoft needs gamepass user now and Samsung will help while Valve does not care for us

EDIT 2:

Reddit threads:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Steam/comments/174uj1p/steam_link_will_no_longer_be_available_on_samsung/

https://www.reddit.com/r/Steam_Link/comments/174pi6b/samsung_tv_will_no_longer_support_steam_link/

https://www.reddit.com/r/Steam_Link/comments/17d1v8a/what/

Steam forums:

https://steamcommunity.com/app/353380/discussions/2/

JUMP TO SOLUTION
Cubeo
Constellation
Options
Projectors & Other TVs

Same as others, bought the tv with steam link being one of the features I required. Seems I won't be making the mistake of buying samsung again.

dbarrc
Constellation
Options
Projectors & Other TVs

This is a horrible decision that comes down to greed. Samsung, Steam Link has been working flawlessly for years. Leave it alone.

kiikka
Constellation
Options
Projectors & Other TVs

The Steam Link app has been an integral part of my gaming. I've been using it basically with everything that supports a controller. Its been so easy to use, no cables, no  and works great even with a bit of distance (PC and TV not in the same level in my house). I bought my TV based on it having the Steam Link app. Please don't take it away now....

user7Gn4CfkuVc
Constellation
Options
Projectors & Other TVs

I also bought my (2) TV's so I can use the steam link app. It worked perfectly for years and never had an issue with this.

Thanks to data caps (that's another story) I won't be able to use the xCloud streaming service because I don't want to pay more money during this downturn in the economy.
I just wish I could use the old Steam Link app even after it doesn't support it anymore.

FabSol
Constellation
Options
Projectors & Other TVs

This just proves to me that the Tizen platform is dead and so far behind the competition.

Please just leave the app as is in the store. It just works! I don't see why you have to remove it! This just makes me reconsider buying a Samsung TV next time if apps and features get removed down the road...

williama
Constellation
Options
Projectors & Other TVs

i think this is a bad idea for Samsung as they make TV's that are fun and easy to use and they should not remove steam link 

Jpaxis2023
Constellation
Options
Projectors & Other TVs

I turned on my Samsung TV today and was faced with the same message! It's a shame, they want to force you to pay for streaming game services... Bad idea from Samsung, I'll be buying another TV from another brand. 

ericemanuel
Constellation
Options
Projectors & Other TVs

I have two Samsung TVs in my house and I use Steam Link on both. I bought Samsung TVs just because of this feature! I will never buy again if this decision is not reversed.

Sassyboy67
Constellation
Options
Projectors & Other TVs

Everyone seems to think the only thing you can do is play games with it, but I used it to duplicate my computer screen and sound to my TV. I hope I can find another alternative.

maciakba
Constellation
Options
Projectors & Other TVs

oh I just open steam link and I m not happy I liked this app very much pls continue with support