Original topic:

QN800B: Youtube "loses" ability to play 8K content

(Topic created: 04-30-2024 03:43 PM)
xela18954
Cosmic Ray
Options
QLED and The Frame TVs

If I go to the YouTube app and attempt to play the 8K content, I won't even get a 4320p (8K) option, only 2160p (even though the video clip is 8k).

If I exit the YouTube app, restart/reboot the TV, delete a bunch of apps to free up some memory, and then go to the YouTube app and try to access the same 8k content, everything is streaming 8k (or 4320p). It may be a YouTube app issue, or perhaps something with Tizen OS.

Can someone try to verify if they are seeing the same thing?

19 Replies
KAPITEIN
Constellation
Options
QLED and The Frame TVs

I can guarantee you, you are not alone. I have an 85” QN900B and have the same problem. The problem is that these high-end TVs have a Network Interface Card of only 100 Mbps. This is sufficient in theory, but in reality it is insufficient to ensure proper buffering. I have transferred my TV to WiFi and have download speeds between 250 and 450 Mbps. Yet I still have that problem. After a video in 4k, or after an 8k video that is not streamed in 8k (happens a lot), the 4320p choice disappears and will not return. I wonder if other 8k TV brands also have that problem. If anyone finds a solution, I'd love to hear it.

0 Likes
xela18954
Cosmic Ray
Options
QLED and The Frame TVs

All 8K HDR content is encoded in AV1 codec; if you go to "Stats for Nerds" it never peaks above 75 Mbps. It's an app issue. I found an **bleep**-backwards workaround though. Go to the Apps --> Installed Apps and delete whatever apps that you can delete (there are like 9 gaming apps) and then you can also select the Youtube app and do a "Reinstall App". That seems to fix the issue, until you shut the TV off, and then you have to do it again.

0 Likes
KAPITEIN
Constellation
Options
QLED and The Frame TVs

I have to contradict you on the first point. I have pictures here of those stats for nerds with connection speeds of 302124 Kbps and not 8k. Another with 344589 Kbps and no 8k either. You are right about reinstalling the YouTube app. But here too it only lasts until the first 4k movie. After that, the 4320p choice disappeared again.´ Samsung has already completely reset my TV 3 times but it did not helped. I have also asked them to completely remove the app and then reinstall it, but they cannot remove the app either.

0 Likes
KAPITEIN
Constellation
Options
QLED and The Frame TVs

There is another solution. You can go to the internet on your TV, then go to YouTube and then you can see the 8k films in 8k, at least if they are streamed in 8k, which is not always the case. So it is not the TV, but the app, or the combination of Samsung TV and YouTube app.

0 Likes
Nothappycustomer
Constellation
Options
QLED and The Frame TVs
After posting here earlier I upgraded to Premium and found that it works better than the Free version because of no commercial interpretations. And it would play the 8k video Playlist in sequence. But the problem wasn't solved in any way by this upgrade. Once out of the Playlist and watching any other lower resolution vid content it would not play 8k videos anymore at that resolution. I spend over an hour this weekend with Sammy tech support remoting into my TV. To no avail were they able to maintain a consistent 8k connection. They said they would report my situation and some would contact me from Samsung then said to me that they were please to have been able to have resolved my issues. I told you got to be F...kidding me right? Hahaha
0 Likes
KAPITEIN
Constellation
Options
QLED and The Frame TVs

I completely agree with you, but I think samsung has no solution and it has to come from youtube. I have already contacted them but they have not responded. There are two options to temporarily solve the problem: go to apps, then settings at the top right, go to the YouTube icon, scroll down and press reinstall. Then close everything, go to YouTube and try a video that you are sure you have already streamed in 8k. You will then be able to choose 4320p again, until the next 4k video, then you will probably lose it again. A second thing that can help is to open YouTube via the internet, go to settings, go to playback and performance, go to AV1 settings and choose preference AV1. That also helps for a while. Or watch YouTube via the internet, then the choice remains. Please note, of all so-called 8k videos, only a third are really 8k. The most certain are those of Timestorm films. good luck...

0 Likes
Nothappycustomer
Constellation
Options
QLED and The Frame TVs
I'm truly not interested in "NON" lasting quick fixes for this situation. No disrespect intended but I, like you, spent thousands of dollars on Samsung's flagship model TV's in order to have stellar performance. Not mediocre performance. Hopefully the latest OTA firmware update 1420 that was released a few days ago, has been good to everyone since being removed from the update release back last year. Fingers crossed that no one experiences the issues those who got this update months before us experienced!
0 Likes
xela18954
Cosmic Ray
Options
QLED and The Frame TVs

I am on build 1622.5. Build 1430 was released in 2023.

0 Likes
Edclecio
Constellation
Options
QLED and The Frame TVs

I have a 75’QN800D, a premium youtube membership and I have the same problem , but if change youtube user , its work again and playing 8k resolution.  Is not a network problem.

0 Likes
LeoWyatt89
Nebula
Options
QLED and The Frame TVs

If you feel that it's not a membership or network issue, you would need to report this to Youtube Directly. Samsung only owns the platform it's up to Youtube to update their application and address any bugs with it. 

Most of the time, this issue has to deal with the fact the television is not receiving sufficient speed or that your bandwidth is not sufficient to support 8K streaming. 

0 Likes