JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Help configuring my The Frame for Art Mode

(Topic created: 08-17-2022 12:50 PM)
sk-cali
Constellation
Options
QLED and The Frame

I recently purchased a 2022 The Frame and just got it setup this weekend. The TV looks great, but I'm having issues configuring it the way I want. I seem to finally have it setup where when I turn it on it defaults to my Apple TV on HDMI1 and when I turn the Apple TV off it displays my art. I still am struggling to get it to behave as I would like, though. 

What I'd like is that during the day (aka certain hours) or whenever there is a person in the room (aka detects motion) it shows our art and then it turns itself off at night or when the house is empty.  When we turn it on via our Apple TV remote it should go directly to the Apple TV on HDMI1 and turn it off it should go back to showing our art. 

Thats's the ideal, but currently I am struggling to even get the art to stay visible. As I'm typing this I have hit the power button on the The Frame remote and it displays art. Then 60 seconds later it turns itself back off. Repeatedly. I've ensured that Screen Saver, Auto Power Saving, and Auto Power Off are all turned off. 

Can anyone help me please to figure out what combination of settings will make my TV actually do the one thing that led me to buy it—to look like a piece of art in the room when we are not actively watching TV?

3 Replies
Options
QLED and The Frame

For me, when TV is off -- ie. showing black screen -- and I turn on the AppleTV with its remote, the TV actually powers back on and goes directly to the AppleTV source on HDMI.

It sounds like your Frame's light sensor is somehow detecting no light after 60 seconds and then turns itself back offf. Is your Frame wall mounted? It's possible that the TV being close to the wall creates a shadow and low to no level of light, tricking the sensor to think there is no light in the room.

What are your Art Mode Settings? I have Night Mode enabled and Sleep After set to 5 minutes.

0 Likes
Solution
sk-cali
Constellation
Options
QLED and The Frame

I typed up a lengthy reply last night, but it appears that it was lost in the ether as the submit timed out and took me back to a login prompt. Here's a more abridged version.

Thank you for the reply and help! I seem to have solved the issue of the TV turning itself off by disabling Night Mode, Screen Saver, and a few other things. The TV is wall mounted and situated in such a way that the sensor area in the lower right should be unobstructed. There was plenty of ambient light in the room while it was turning itself off. It appears that Night Mode was the offending setting, but I disabled other things as well.

It looks like the simplest thing to do is just to put it on a timer using automations so that it comes on at certain times and turns off automatically at others. I wish there were a way to specifically trigger Art Mode in automations instead of just On/Off. I can have it turn on and it sits at the Apple TV screen for some period of time before it reverts to Art Mode. At least this is closer to what I was looking for.

userOaWuka0OwR
Constellation
Options
QLED and The Frame

Device is The Frame 50.  What I would like to do is display art most of the time, but it's not necessary to display at night.  So I was interested in Night Mode feature.

Oddly, in the app the Night Mode feature is described as:

"Set The Frame to turn off and on automatically as motion is detected in the room"

What does that have to do with "night"?  (there could still be an absence of motion in the daytime)

Anyway, I tried turning Night Mode on, but what happens is, The Frame turns off after about 30 seconds, regardless of whether or not there is any motion.  The only way to turn it back on is to use the power button, then I have to go back in the app and turn off Night Mode before the TV shuts off again.

I have also experimented with the "Sleep After" feature.  Once again oddly, the description for the Sleep After feature is the same as Night Mode, "Set The Frame to turn off and on automatically as motion is detected in the room."

Why is "Sleep After" described as motion detecting when the settings choices are time-based?

Regardless, the Sleep After function also does not work.  Setting a sleep time has no effect on The Frame - it stays on irrespective of any motion, and irrespective of any elapsed time.  I currently have it set to four hours and it remains on after that.  It's always on, unless I manually turn it off.

The Smart Things app seems seriously defective - I am unable to use The Frame as expected and as one would reasonably assume would be possible.

Is there some other way to bypass this defective app and utilize timeout functionality with The Frame?