JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Messages app crashing

(Topic created: 05-29-2024 05:44 AM)
Papyrus16
Pilot
Options
Samsung Apps and Services

My Samsung Messages app keeps closing. I've restarted my phone multiple times. I've gone to Settings > App Settings > Messages > Storage and hit Clear cache and Clear data. When I do this, the space used for cache and data go down to 0, but then immediately go back up to the original storage amounts when I reopen Messages.

I found a previous conversation about Messages crashing in Dec 2023 and tried following the instructions but when I held down the power button and volume up with the phone turned off, the phone restarted as normal, even though I held them down until after the Samsung logo disappeared.

If I can't fix it, can I install a different app for

My Google storage is 94% full. Could that be connected?

2,577 Replies
CAPITALQUEST
Asteroid
Options

Brilliant post, I tried the same thing and bingo it works.  Thank you so very much, John

0 Likes
user9BgpiDac8d
Constellation
Options

Thanks so much, this worked immediately. I didn't even know I had the app on my phone. Does anyone know why this happened though?

0 Likes
Jay Cee
Constellation
Options

Thank you!!!!! Disabling "Google Meet" fixed it. I'm just confused because I've never used Meet, never opened it, nothing. I don't even know what it is. So why did it start messing with our phones all of a sudden?!

Members_aingT6O
Asteroid
Options

Hi all,

I have an unlocked S24. All of my app auto updates are disabled. I've manually installed a few Google app store updates but nothing jumps at me as being relevant.

It's started happening this afternoon. The way the problem manifests itself is that I bring up Samsung Messenger, select contact, click on text box, keyboard pops up and a second later app crashes. I tried Google Messenger just for the hack of it and it works fine.

Things I have tried to no avail: cleared cache on Messenger, cleated cache on Google Contacts, then cleated cache *and* data on Messenger and Google Contacts, restored messages from Samsung cloud.

I'm at a loss on what to do. I could use any suggestions please. Thanks.

GaryB82
Galactic Samsung Care Ambassador
Options

Supposedly they was a Samsung Message update that is causing the crashing and they are working on it in the mean time I suggest switching to Google Messages to text 

If you've found my post to be helpful, Please like my Comments ✓✓✓.
If my response resolved your issue, please press the Like and ✓✓✓ to Accept as Solution button.

Members_aingT6O
Asteroid
Options

That's weird cause I did not update Samsung Messenger. I'm still on version 15.1.11.1. I guess I'll keep an eye out for any messenger updates. Yeah, Google Messenger is my only option atm. Thanks for confirming it.

GaryB82
Galactic Samsung Care Ambassador
Options

Google messages is far better in my option 

If you've found my post to be helpful, Please like my Comments ✓✓✓.
If my response resolved your issue, please press the Like and ✓✓✓ to Accept as Solution button.

HekatesDaughter
Constellation
Options
Having the same issue with my S21. Can't send any text unless I click the "new conversation" button.
Members_aingT6O
Asteroid
Options

It's been a while since I used Google Messenger the last time. I recall that it was lacking starred messages + showing just started messages, and ability to move conversations to different groups. I find all contact conversations shown on the main screen just too much. 

Nanyan64
Asteroid
Options
My messages also crashing/ closing. How do we know when theres an update ?