JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Settings — When enabling Wi-Fi Calling, E911 requires an address. Help?

(Topic created: 08-16-2022 11:43 AM)
Anonymous
Not applicable
Options
Samsung Apps and Services
(This is a strange thing that happened a couple of weeks ago.)

A friend of mine just recently destroyed his last mobile device, so I decided to give them an old phone I no longer use (which is an unlocked Verizon S8). Prior to this Samsung device, their last ~6 phones have been various brands that weren't Samsung (such as Motorola and Apple).

Moving on, we performed a factory reset on the S8 phone to wipe the saved data out, and when my friend finally got past the initial, basic phone set up, they started altering some of the categories on the Settings app. He decided to turn Wi-Fi Calling on, and when he was prompted to put in his E911 address, he saw that his specific address had been automatically filled in.

The strange part was that the device could not have known their address, for sure, because they never saved their home address on any autofill services  not using Samsung Pass (which is Samsung Wallet, now) or in their Google Password Manager.

Does anyone know how this must've happened?
14 Replies
Ogata92
Comet
Options
It was possibly done via location settings. In other words, phone used GPS to determine your location and filled in the info accordingly. That's my guess at least.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Options
Thank you, that makes sense.
0 Likes
Yamialex224
Honored Contributor
Options
Add your address. It bases on Google maps and your location
0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable
Options
What do you mean by "add your address?" Their exact address was already put in, so they didn't have to manually put it in.
0 Likes
Yamialex224
Honored Contributor
Options
Then confirm it and it will be all set up
0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable
Options
The point of this post wasn't because they needed help confirming their address. I asked if anyone knew how a newly, factory reset device could've known their exact address — the street address and unit number, including — even though they have never added that particular address to either one of their autofill services.
0 Likes
Yamialex224
Honored Contributor
Options
Your Google info. You had to sign in. Your samsung account. There are ways it knows your address
Anonymous
Not applicable
Options
You're not very helpful.
Yamialex224
Honored Contributor
Options
I'm giving you answers you don't like them then Google the answer yourseld
0 Likes