Gear Sport GPS forgets your position

Highlighted
Asteroid

Gear Sport GPS forgets your position

If you navigate away from a Sports app, or the app times out and goes back to watch, the Gear Sport forgets your location. You have to wait the full length of time for it to find you again. This is particularly ridiculous when I'm waiting for my running mates to join me; I have to keep tapping the watch to stop it going to sleep and losing my location.

This morning in my ten minute cycle to work it failed to find my GPS location on a bright sunny day, during the entire journey. But before I left, I ate outside and it found my location in a couple of minutes. Why on earth didn't it remember?

And why should it have trouble finding my position when it's connected to my phone, which knows its location accurately? It should be able to pinpoint those satellites in seconds. Ridiculous.

6 REPLIES
Samsung Moderator

Re: Gear Sport GPS forgets your position

Is the software of the device completely up to date? 

Asteroid

Neither the Gear App nor the watch itself is telling me any upgrades are needed. I have update notifications and Auto update switched on. Plus I got the watch six days ago.

Samsung Moderator

The software should definitely be up to date. Let's try this to make sure GPS is enabled correctly http://support-us.samsung.com/cyber/popup/iframe/pop_troubleshooting_fr.jsp?idx=870033&modelname=SM-....

Let me know if this works.

Samsung Moderator

Hello, just following up to see if the steps I provided were helpful?

Asteroid

Thanks for trying to help.

The GPS works fine. After my workout I can see my track on the map and it's correct. The problem is ... well, the problem is exactly as I described in my OP. The software is behaving badly, probably by design. The best answer you could give me would be "Our developers are aware of this issue and there will be a fix in the next update".

Asteroid

Just to be clear, I'm saying the problem is that if I run with GPS, finish the workout, and then start a new run, I expect my location to be found instantly the second time because I haven't moved; it shouldn't make me wait another 5 minutes while it searches for satellites etc. My 3 year-old Fitbit can do this. And I expect my location to be found instantly if the device is connected to my phone, because my phone always knows my location.