JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

S-pen scratches the screen

(Topic created: 08-03-2020 07:23 PM)
userh6EafIBjve
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy Note Phones

I found a similar discussion, started and aparently closed in 2019 about micro scratches on Note 10+ screen. The Samsung Care guys pointed to the original poster that the scratches are actually on his screen protector and they marked the problem as solved, even though there were some people there which removed their stock screen protectors and they had their actual screens scratched.

In my case, my Note 10+ has been kept always in a case with a holster, never had been put in my pocket and the holster sits 1/4 inch away from the screen. The only things that ever touched that screen are my fingers and my s-pen. I was among the first to get the Note10+ when it hit the market. I kept the original screen protector until May 2020 and then I removed it because it was getting dificult to see through the scratches. I didn't think there would be any problem because I had Note 9 before and it never had any scratches without any screen protector. So, I was shocked to see multiple micro scratches a couple of weeks ago. They are only visible when you look at the screen at a certain angle but they are definitely there. As I said, my phone doesn't come into contact with keys, coins or anything like that. And after eliminating my fingers as a possible cause, the only thing that's left is the s-pen. I use it a lot, that's true, but the s-pen is what makes the Note, well THE NOTE. So, in my view it should never ever cause any damage to the screen. I tried four or five third party tempered glass screen protectors but I couldn't make the fingerprint reader work with any of them. My phone is asking for authentication multiple times a day for some reason (despite being at the safe place and right next to the safe device - another problem) and I have a complicated password which makes it a pain in the neck to start the phone with those screen protectors.

I was planning on getting the new Note Ultra and trading the Note 10+ in, but I will be risking to only get $25 for my trade-in if the person that inspects it decides that those scratches are not caused by normal use.

I would really like to see what Samsung has to say about this.

8 Replies
LargoWinch
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy Note Phones

the nibs on the s-pen could not scratch any surface. The nibs outlet layer  are way too soft to scratch anything.

My first nib wore out after a few months and eventually teared off.

I noticed a hard surface just under the soft rubber. that could (under rare circumstances?) scratch the screen.

0 Likes
userh6EafIBjve
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy Note Phones

Well, I guess that’s the difference between theory and practice. I also was sure there would be no problems with me using the s-pen without screen protector since I did it for 11 months with my Note 9 and when I traded it in for my Note 10+ it was in “like new” condition. Plus, you would think that Gorilla Glass 6 would be an improvement over Gorilla Glass 5 across the board. But, you know, when empirical evidence contradicts the theory, its not the evidence that’s wrong.

In theory, when I’m at home (trusted place) holding my phone with the same hand where my Gear S3 is (trusted device) it should stay unlocked and not ask me for authentication. In practice, it locks and asks several times a day.

In theory, when I hit the period on my Samsung on-screen keyboard it should print a period. In practice, half of the time it actually inserts space.

What I know for sure is that, as I said before, the Note 10+ screen only came into contact with my fingers and the s-pen. Well, you can also add the microfiber cloth I use to clean it, but again, all these I used on the Note 9 without any scratches whatsoever. I even used my original s-pen nib for all those months with the Note 9. For the Note 10+ I replaced the nib as soon as I noticed the first scratches but that didn’t change anything, they kept multiplying.

I’m sorry I’m not in a position to throw $1100 to the wind or I would just send you the phone so that you can see for yourself.

Maybe it’s just my phone or a small batch that have this problem (you should look at the other thread that I mentioned before, there are a few customers there that had their screens, not the screen protectors, scratched by carrying their phones in their pockets).

I know Samsung couldn’t care less, the number is insignificant. So, it looks like I’m gonna skip the Note 20 Ultra this year and get my upgrade in 2021. I’m not sure it’s going to be a Note though.

userDPCSBCSgQT
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy Note Phones

Wow everyone seems to be focusing on just  1 single hyphenated word in your post. (Trade-in).  Maybe it's because of my current problem but, what I hear is "Why <edit> is my Note 10 s pen scratching my screen? Especially with supposed improved glass over the Note 9!

I've only had my Note 10+ for 6 weeks yet the original screen protector plus another tempered glass protector are basically destroyed! I couldn't truly afford this phone so a replacement is a very very long way away.

Did you ever find any answers or correct the problem? 

userh6EafIBjve
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy Note Phones

I'm sorry you have the same problem with your screen. I think everyone was focusing on the trade-in part because that was my main concern with the scratches. I actually already did that and got the Note 20 Ultra. As Gino said, I didn't have any problems with the trade-in, the phone was accepted (thank you, guys!). Now, on my new phone I put a tempered glass screen protector immediately and, fortunately, this one works perfectly. For almost a month now, there is not a single scratch on it and the fingerprint reader works flawlessly. The S-pen also works without a problem. The only thing is, when the screen is off you can see the circle that marks the reader's position, but when the screen is on it's almost always completely invisible. So, I would strongly recommend you do the same, just look for a tempered glass screen protector with 9H hardness and fingerprint reader compatibility. I'm not sure if the moderators are going to allow this but I'll try now to post a link to the same make screen protector as mine, just for your Note 10+ phone:

https://www.amazon.com/Galaxy-Note-Plus-Fingerprint-Samsung/dp/B08DKDL15R/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywor...

Guys, please let it through, I'm just trying to help a fellow Samsung customer...

Obviously, you can't fix the screen. What you CAN do is protect it.

As for the phone affordability, have you taken a look at Samsung financing recently? They have some pretty good options there. This is how I got my Note 20 Ultra.

I hope this helps.

0 Likes
Solution
Geno71
Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Galaxy Note Phones

Hi @userh6EafIBjve 

I don't think you need to worry about trading the phone in. I've traded many phones and all of them had some scratches, it's never been an issue. Also, the Note20 Ultra should be a good choice for you as it comes with new Gorilla Glass which promises much better scratch resistance. 

Now my personal experience. I've been using the Note10 for almost a year, but no screen protector the whole time. I just don't like the feel of it. I have some scratches on my screen, sure, I do carry my phone in a pocked with the screen exposed. Most of the micro scratches are all around the fingerprint scanner, I can't tell why, but that's what I got on mine. I got some minor scratched on the back too. I'm not too worried about them though, I know they won't affect a trade in value if I decide to trade in, and in general, since my phone has already accumulated some scratches, I'm just not as obsesses about taking extra care of it all the time, which to be honest, provides a more enjoyable day to day experience with it. For me anyway.

Don't forget to give this post a Like by clicking on the ❤ icon below. 
And if it answered your question, please click on "Accept as Solution"

userh6EafIBjve
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy Note Phones

Well, it looks like I shoud have titled the topic differently since it turned out that the only thing that actually can be discussed is: "Can I get the full trade-in value for my Note 10+ if the screen has multiple micro scratches?".  No point in arguing about what caused them, Geno71 is right to avoid the subject. I only mentioned that because in my eyes it falls under "normal wear and tear" provision and I just wanted to see if this is also how the guys that inspect the trade-in devices are going to view it. If that sort of scratches are no big deal, then I have my answer.

Anyway, I'm going to assume I can't change the topic title now and I'm back to seriously considering the Note 20 Ultra. At least now I have Geno to blame if something goes wrong with my trade-inSmiley Wink

Just kidding.

Thank you, Geno.

Geno71
Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Galaxy Note Phones

@userh6EafIBjve 

No problem. I'm sure it will work out just fine. One tip, when you send your trade in, don't be worried if it feels like it takes for ever to get a confirmation. My last trade in took over 3 weeks after I shipped it, until I got an email telling me it was accepted. And right now, with the pandemic, I wouldn't be surprised if it takes even longer. Also make sure to remove all your email accounts in settings, manually, and sign out of the Samsung account, then do the factory reset. One of the most common reason for trade-ins to be rejected is actually a Google account lock, meaning the phone asks for your Google account password on the initial set up. You definitely don't want to have to deal with that.

Don't forget to give this post a Like by clicking on the ❤ icon below. 
And if it answered your question, please click on "Accept as Solution"

userh6EafIBjve
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy Note Phones

Thank you for going the extra mile, Geno. I'm actually a member of that dying breed that read the instructions but it's always useful to be reminded.