JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Blocked Calls Notification Sound

(Topic created: 02-21-2019 04:59 PM)
requa
Comet
Options
Galaxy S Phones

I never noticed this in the past, but since the upgrade to Pie on my S9, I've been hearing the default system notification sound whenever the phone blocks a call based on my blocked caller list. I tested this by blocking a known number and calling myself and confirmed I get an immediate notification sound and an icon in the notification bar. The notification tile when expanded takes me to a settings page that includes a slider for blocked call notification sounds, but will not permit me to turn that option off. I'd prefer to see the visual notification next time I am looking at my phone, or even on the AOD and lock screens, without receiving an audible notification. How do I either turn off the notification sound or assign a unique sound to this notification?

Dan
Galaxy S22 SM-S901U on Xfinity Mobile
27 Replies
requa
Comet
Options
Galaxy S Phones
I still have not found a way to prevent or change the sound notification for a blocked call, but I have a workaround that might suffice for now. I changed my default notification sound to a shorter, quieter chime, then changed my incoming text message notification in my messaging app (Textra) back to a more audible sound. I could have made the default No Sound, but I was afraid of eliminating all audio for the default since I don't know all of the events that might trigger the default sound. Now even though there will still be an audio notification, at least I'll be able to distinguish it from a more important (to me) incoming text notification. I'd still appreciate any other input on turning the blocked call notification sound off independently from the default notification, though.

Dan
0 Likes
Leisha
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S Phones

I'm having this exact same problem. I don't want notifications at all that call was Blocked.

Also, since the 9 Pie upgrade, the option to report calls as Spammers is gone, now I can only block.

0 Likes
Solution
lusterav
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S Phones

You can shut off the notification sound for blocked numbers by going through the following steps: Settings - Apps- Upper right menu, select "show system apps". Scroll to the 5 phone apps. Open the third one (the first of 3 phone apps with dark green and a white vertical phone). Open notifications near the bottom. You will see a category Other-Blocked Call. Even though the toggle switch is grayed out, you can open it by long pressing on it. Then select Silent and Minimized. Hope this helps.

Leisha
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S Phones

WONDERFUL! Thank you so much. I skimmed instead of full read your post to begin with and was about to be all Smiley Frustrated with Blocked being inaccessible. Thank you for having full instructions!

I'll check back in if it doesn't work...of couse now I have to wait for a number I have blocked, to call. 🙂

0 Likes
bumboola
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S Phones

Thank you, never would have been able to do this without your help. I've been searching for a way to do it for two weeks without success.

It did the trick!

userEU3P0bizel
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S Phones

Omg!!! Thank you so much!! Was driving me crazy!!!

0 Likes
requa
Comet
Options
Galaxy S Phones
I'm there, and I think I've been there before via another route (from the notifications bar). I see the option to turn off blocked call notifications, but that option is locked -- tapping it does not cause it to change the setting or otherwise react. The slider itself is grayed out and does not have the blue background showing in the App Icon Badges slider above it. I'm glad this is working for others, but is there any way to make this work if it's locked? Is that a carrier issue (Xfinity Mobile)?

Dan
bumboola
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S Phones

I'm on Xfinity Mobile and it worked fine on my S9+.

If you long press the slider it will allow you to change the settings, tapping the slider will do nothing. Just follow the directions posted by lusterav.

0 Likes
requa
Comet
Options
Galaxy S Phones
I did miss the part about long pressing the slider. Thanks for pointing that out. However, long pressing did not work for me. What did work was pressing the Blocked Call bar itself, which opened another layer of settings including an option to change the notification style from sound to silent. Phew!

Dan