JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

HELP! S9 Phone freezing and won't turn on

(Topic created: 02-26-2019 10:11 AM)
usero7thUFySjW
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S Phones

I just purchased a Samsung s9 about two weeks ago, directly from Samsung.

It was running fine, transferred everything from my s7, all apps/texts/pictures, etc.  I was very happy.

Two days later, I woke up, and the phone had black screened.  It would not turn on.  I had to do a soft reset (power button + volume down).  I figured it was a fluke, and thought nothing of it.  Next night, same thing.  So I started looking up possible complications.  I did several different things, even deleted cache, deleted lots of apps that were supposedly "crashing" the phone. 

I even turned off the "auto optimization", and everything started working, I thought everything was solved.  

Couple of days later, I wake up and the phone would not turn on.  That's when I realized that when I went to sleep, and I had the phone connected to the charger, it would freeze up, and would not turn on the next morning.  The following night, I did not connect it to charge, and it didn't freeze up when I woke up.

Any idea or fix to something like this?  I like to charge my phone while I sleep.   Also, this doesn't happen during the day, as I sometimes have it charging in my car, or at work.  

0 Likes
7 Replies
SamsungLarryK
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator
Options
Galaxy S Phones

Hey, try leaving the device in safe mode when you charge overnight and see if the issue persists.

0 Likes
usero7thUFySjW
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S Phones

Thank you for your response!  I will try that tonight. 

0 Likes
SamsungLarryK
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator
Options
Galaxy S Phones

You're welcome. Please keep us posted.

0 Likes
usero7thUFySjW
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S Phones

I put the phone in safe mode last night, and left it plugged into the charger.  Woke up and no issues, yay!

Does this mean an app I downloaded is causing the issue?  Or is there another idea to fix this?

0 Likes
Options
Galaxy S Phones

Yes it most likely does. I would recommend backing up your phone to your computer, and factory resetting it if possible.

Then you can use it normally for 24 hours and see if you have this issue again. If not, you know for a fact it is something you installed on the phone.

I highly recommend putting the minimum apps you need for day to day use back on and seeing if the issues persist. If not, you keep repeating this process one by one until either you find which app causes issues or you don't have the issue anymore. 

As a rule of thumb I would also make sure all of your apps are up to date and that your phone is up to date with security and os updates as well. 

0 Likes
Solution
usero7thUFySjW
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S Phones

I just wanted to follow up and let everyone know that I finally got a solution to my phone issue.

I literaly tried everything to fix this issue (I'm pretty stubborn and did not want to return a brand new phone lol).  I deleted all apps, cleared cache, safe modes, etc.

FINALLY, I was going to do the last restort (factory reset) and I did one final Google search, and someone suggested removing the SD card.  Last night, SD card was removed, phone was plugged in and charging, and I woke up this morning with NO issues!!  Seems like I got a bad SD card.  

MrZell
Black Hole
Options
Galaxy S Phones

We appreciate you reaching back out and letting us know that your concern has been resolved, and for providing the details of your fix so it can help others. Thanks for being the best part of Samsung!

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.

0 Likes