Samsung s7 rear camera glass broke

Highlighted
Asteroid

Samsung s7 rear camera glass broke

Add me to the apparently non-existing list of people whose rear camera glass shattered for no apparent reason. I've had many phones over the years, my last was an s5, and I can honestly say the biggest mistake I ever made was upgrading my s5 for the s7. Since I had it it has been nothing but trouble. I have verizon and had to return the phone twice for bad overheating battery and going dead too fast...this was before the whole note 7 battery fiasco, and I am still not convinced it's not a bigger problem (like on other models like the s7's) then what is being claimed. Anyway, not here for that.  I went to use my camera which I do often and picture was all blurry, only to find the glass on camera was shattered. I would be proud to admit I hit it with something, and wish I could say I have a bad memory and may have forgot I hit it, but just not the case. It was like It just happened for no reason. Hmmm. So, I call Verizon and of course there's no history and/or reported problems referring to broken camera glass. Convenient, as in just a ten minute google search, I found hundreds with the same problem. Again, hmmm.  The phone is practically new. I keep it in an otter box case...on an off topic, I noticed for a lot of these shattered glass the owners have otterbox cases. Thinking there might be a correlation... anyway, long story short, i have a like new s7 with a camera I can't use, which is almost as bad as having no s7 at all. I use my camera a lot for everything...work, home, etc. and am sort of lost without it. My options?  Send it out for repair around 70 bucks and not have any phone for he week or so to fix and return. Have insurance so 150 dollar deductible and get a new phone?  Either way, it really grinds my gears that an otherwise new phone is crap because Samsung got cheap and put paper glass that was bound to break at some point. I mean, I've never broke the camera glass on any phone ever. It almost seemed impossible, until now and. I take super good care of my phones and try to buy the safest cases.  So now most likely I'll have to shell out 150 to get a new one via insurance, knowing that it's probably not even a dollar part that could have been made better by Samsung. fromthere, I'll probably pay off remainder balance on phone, sell it, and get anything but Samsung. I know they get good reviews but they really have gone downhill as of lately, in my opinion. After seeing some videos and people's stories of the s7's, they were trying to make the phone look pretty and forgot,to make it safe and durable. And I don't really have the time or money to be a test Guinea pig for Samsung to try out new ideas on. Isn't that what r and d is for?

61 REPLIES
Black Hole

Re: Samsung s7 rear camera glass broke

Hello there, @Cberr

It’s perfectly understandable that you’re very upset about what’s happened. If you feel that your device has experienced damage not created by impact, we would recommend having your device set up for evaluation. You may reach out to our direct lines of support to have this set up. Additionally, we have some local service centers you may take your device to. Please use the link here: Samsung Customer Service to find information on Walk-in Service center locations. If you are located in a region outside of the U.S. You may refer to the list here: Samsung Support Lines for additional support. 

Asteroid

Lol. just reread my post. didn't mean to sound overly dramatic. just venting. I pay $300 a month for a family plan with Verizon and any additional cost to that is hard to swallow, like a broken camera on an otherwise new phone. I should be just as mad at asurion for the highdeductible cost for a simple repair or the lack of understanding for Verizon to do anything for a loyal customer who got handed a bad hand. 

Constellation

The same thing happened to my galaxy s 7 edge. I couldn't believe it. How could that tiny lens break! -dmvhawkeye9@gmail.com 

Asteroid

My condolences, my friend (as I continually correct the spelling errors on this s7 keypad that continually seem to happen as I correctly type. Another issue I never had before, for another time I suppose...

Not sure of your plan of attack, but after several different avenues of exploration, I went with just getting a new glass on amazon, water he'd a few videos on youtube...lol. see what I mean. Anyway. Hardest part was getting the back cover off, or as they call it the back glass. If you feel comfortable attempting it, definitely a doable task. Cost me 12 bucks for the glass and a tool kit. I also bought some replacement adhesive sheets that cost about 4 bucks. As for the glass, I got whole replacement insert piece, not just the glass, as you can also get for cheaper. If I recall, the amazon store was called omnirepairs...very good customer service. Anyway, with a blow dryer and several guitar picks, was fairly easy to get to glass. Just be careful and take your time. I also very carefully used a razor blaDE to assist in getting in between the back cover and phone. Again, let the heat do the work don't use too much force. Hope this helps. Saved me having to get a new phone just because the stupid glass broke. Good luck. 

Honored Contributor

I honestly would have loved to watch a video of you doing this. I had no idea there were even repair kits for that small of a cover on the camera, so this is all news to me. As for this happening, I've been gathering as much information from the multitude of posts floating around the forums so that I could present it to folks who might be able to get the right eyes on this specific happening. It has been popping up more and more it would seem, and not to discredit anyone, there's been tons of various information flying around on various other boards as to what people were doing with their phones when this happened.

Naturally there's tons of variables that can go into this, but when I read about those that just had them resting somewhere or not moving on all, followed by the stress break of that glass, I can't deny it raises some curiosity on my end. I'd love to be able to take one of these stat and rush it to the engineer team like a mad man, but alas...that's not within the realm of possibilities for me. So I will continue to make my notes for you fine folks and pass it along. Anything new I find out, I'll make sure to update. Who knows, you may even seen a larger public post in regards to this. As always feel free to reach out directly to me via my inbox, and I'll do my best to respond to everyone.

Thank you for your incredible patience in this matter.

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you. If a post stand out to you, perhaps you could give that post a star to show other community members they were able to assist or was relevant to you.

Constellation

My Samsung S6edge+ was in the protective case a quarter of an inch deep from the flashback cover the camera lens sat safe and secure. When I take a picture the lens cracked like a bullet hole had been shot through it. Despite my complaints to Samsung they did nothing and it cost me $100 to replace it. 2 weeks ago I was taking another picture with my Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge Plus and the camera lens broke again like somebody shot it with a bullet. I refuse to pay to fix it again. If there's a class action lawsuit I want to get in on it because this is definitely side effects in the camera lens. That carries over from the S6 to the S7 Galaxy. Enough is enough. I want to Galaxy S8 with a 6-inch screen at no charge. It's the least Samsung can do after selling me too faulty cellphone units. I have been reading about this faulty cellphone units everyday for a year now and I've had enough. Let's go Samsung get off your high horse and satisfy all your unhappy customers. This just can't go on anymore. Or customers like they're going to put you out of the Cellphone business.

Asteroid

Thanks for that and definitely keep me updated. I was in a position where I needed my phone camera operational and was not going to wait for Samsung to step up to the plate. They make it difficult, like well, you can send your phone in and it might take a few weeks. Lol. That is unacceptable. Try being without a phone for your day...Anyway, considering that I was easily able to buy a replacement glass and there are a good amount of videos on how to replace, that in itself must say something. You don't make replacement parts unless there is a big need for them. I'm sure that can add some credibility to the argument. But like usual it's a waiting game with corporate accountability. I mean, frustrated posts scattered all over Internet is one thing, but I guess the phone has to start blowing up in people's pockets before it's worth looking into. Wait...didn't that already happen.? ...just saying...what next?
Astronaut

Thanks for sharing this problem as I had the same thing happen to my Galaxy S5.   The shatter pattern looked exactly the same and I've been trying to figure out how this could have happened when I left it unattended over night.   There was noone else in the house other than my wife!

I also bought a repair kit from Amazon for the back window but it didn't help as the lens itself was was also chipped when it shattered.   One of my main purposes for buying this phone was to have a nice camera.   When I upgrade, I don't want this to happen again so I will need to look at different brands.   It's a great smart phone.  Too bad my camera is unusable.

Asteroid

I miss my s5. The phone was perfect. Brilliant me had to have the newest and latest...should have left good enough alone and been happy with my s5. Anyway, don't know what your budget is, but I did see them selling s5's on Groupon for $139  I think.  Sale ends 1/1. That sounded like a good price. If interested just do a search on Groupon for Samsung s5. Either way, thanks for adding to the posting. It's reassuring I am not the only one this has happened to or is happening to.