JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Galaxy S21 Ultra - Oticon Hearing Aids

(Topic created: 12-29-2021 10:00 AM)
user4CY8rKqOOZ
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S21

I recently purchased a Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra 5G. 

Being told that my new phone is Hearing Aid Compatible, I purchased Oticon More 3 minirite hearing aids. I am not profoundly deaf; I have moderate to severe hearing loss. 

I have since been told by an Oticon representative; the hearing aids are NOT compatible with my Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra 5G.  He told me my phone was  “too high end”, and I should just wear the aids and not use the app/blue-tooth/remote benefits………what???

He said they are compatible with a Samsung Galaxy S21, but NOT the Galaxy S21 Ultra 5G.

Since they are not compatible, they only work “sometimes”, with the Oticon On app.

While blue-toothed to my phone, sometimes the right ear works, sometimes the left ear works, every now and then, they both work at the same time as they should.

When on the phone, calls are NEVER loud enough though the aids and the Oticon On app have them turned up as high as the aids and phone will go.  When driving, I can barely hear the other person at all.  In a very quiet office setting they are adequate, if the phone is turned up as loud as possible.

I have worked with my audiologist along with HER representative at Oticon.  I have driven back and forth to the audiologist’s office at least 8 times now (25 miles each way), I have only had the aids about three weeks. Settings have been changed, programs have been added and adjusted.  The aids are still not loud enough when on the phone and the left and right ear fade in and out whenever……

It was intimated that this is a Samsung problem and not an Oticon problem.  

Can this be true?? That it’s Samsung’s problem and not Oticon’s??

If my phone is NOT compatible with these hearing aids now, will there EVER be a software update that WILL make them compatible with my hearing aids and if so, when should I be expecting that update?

As anyone knows reading this, the hearing aids are not cheap, nor is a Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra 5G. 

While once excited about the prospect of a new phone and hearing aids, I am disappointed and frustrated and I feel both Samsung and Oticon have totally misrepresented their products.

Is there ANYONE that can verify for me that my Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra 5G is or is NOT compatible with Oticon More 3 minirite hearing aids.

If it is NOT compatible, can you please tell me which hearing aid brands AND models, DO work properly with this phone.

Thanks for reading and any help you can provide.

10 Replies
user_ams007
Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Galaxy S21
Try opening the settings for accessibility and then click on the Hearing enhancements option and then click on the Hearing aid support,maybe that will help Screenshot_20211207-155502_Accessibility_2511_1638910502.jpgScreenshot_20211207-155507_Accessibility_2512_1638910508.jpg
0 Likes
user4CY8rKqOOZ
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S21

Everything that needs to be clicked to enhance hearing aids, has already been clicked.  Thanks for your reply.

0 Likes
user_ams007
Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Galaxy S21
Anytime!! If you have any other issues, please let know
0 Likes
notforhire
Honored Contributor
Options
Galaxy S21
I wear Oticon. Apparently they're awesome with iPhone. My aids are 3 years old, so there's no compatibility for me with Android. I'm surprised the new generation won't work with Samsung. If you're on Android 12, that might be the hangup.
0 Likes
user4CY8rKqOOZ
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S21

Yes, I have Android 12, is it too "new" to work with Oticons?

0 Likes
notforhire
Honored Contributor
Options
Galaxy S21
I have the Opn 3 miniRite, purchased in 2018. At that time, Oticon could only stream with iOS. Apparently, within the last year, or so, Oticon expanded their capabilities (along with Android) to work with Android phones. My aids will not work with Android, period. Frankly, I don't think Oticon cares too much about compatibility with Android.

to clarify: "stream" is an incorrect term. I'm referring to the ability to hear notifications, ring tones, etc. A buddy of mine has the same aids as I have, but is on iOS. He went to see a show on Broadway (late 2019) and was able to connect with the house broadcast of the performance and listen to the show through his hearing aids. Unbelievable.
0 Likes
user4CY8rKqOOZ
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S21

"stream" is an incorrect term. I'm referring to the ability to hear notifications, ring tones, etc.

Mine aids work intermittently with my phone, I have Android 12.  I can't even imagine how amazing it would be to go to a show and be able to connect to the house sound.  Wow!  Had I known I was going to buy hearing aids when I got my last Android phone, I probably would have bought an Iphone instead.

0 Likes
bill-e
Epic Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Galaxy S21

My Wife's Oticon's are intermittent while connected to her iPhone 13.  They were rock steady on the 11.  Just like any app, I think it's Oticon's problem.

** If my response helps, please click on Like (Heart). If I resolved your issue also please click on Accept as a Solution so that others can benefit.

Bill
---
Galaxy Fold 5 512g(VZW), Galaxy Book (original, VZW), Tab S8 Ultra, Tab S4, Galaxy Watch6Classic 47mm(VZW), Galaxy Watch5Pro(VZW), M8 Smart Monitor
SamsungAdam
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator
Options
Galaxy S21

Thank you for reaching out. I can certainly understand your frustration with the hearing aids not functioning as expected. After a bit further research it appears the issue is from Oticon's side as their website states it's only compatible with the S21 on Android 11. Give this link a try for their compatibility: https://www.oticon.com/support/compatibility

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.

0 Likes