JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

RCS message T-Mobile/Sprint

(Topic created: 04-13-2021 07:13 AM)
MarioMiguelito
Explorer
Options
Galaxy S21

So I had Sprint and was grandfathered into T-Mobile and given a T-Mobile sim. My Samsung messaging app doesn't have the "Rich Communications" option under chat settings BUT I do have delivered/read receipts, and typing indicators. I also checked with a friend using Google messages and I am indeed typing with RCS connectivity. The weird thing is, all the chat bubbles are the same color (Teal) and the only way I can tell I'm chatting with RCS is the delivered/read notice and typing indicators in the message. Further more RCS doesn't connect in Google messages for me anymore and it was fine as of Friday 4/9. This is really weird and confusing. The picture I attached is of my convo with a friend using Google messages and you can see it's royal blue, indicating RCS and the read receipts. I have the Galaxy S21 Ultra btw.

10 Replies
Solution
CLF
Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Galaxy S21

@MarioMiguelito

Hey,

With T-mobile using a Samsung phone and the default Samsung messages app rcs is automatically registered, and activated. There isn't any way to turn it on or off. We were limited to initiating chat sessions with contacts also using T-mobiles rcs chat network infrastructure.

Recently Google and T-Mobile in partnership brought us RCS Universal Profile. Carrier interoperability. Now we can initiate a RCS chat session with contacts using Googles jibe rcs chat network. If a contact using Googles rcs chat network sends a RCS chat message to a contact using T-mobiles rcs chat network the two networks meet in the middle and create a private temporary space for the chat session. 

When I open the Google Messages app I have to manually set up the rcs chat service. It checks if I have a compatible phone and if I'm on a carrier network and messages app that has rcs Universal profile running and interoperability with their Google jibe chat network. Since T-mobile and Google have set up rcs universal profile I can now start a chat session with any of my contacts using the Samsung messages app or the Google messaging app as long as they're on T-mobiles network or Googles network. 

I've noticed over the years that messaging apps don't play well together. It's not as bad as it used to be but I still see some strange things happening when I switch between the two. They both run fine on their own and set up as the default. 

As for the colors the original plan was for all the carriers to use the same colors for rcs up and different colors for sms and mms messages. Unfortunately the carriers are still using various colors for chat messaging and the small dot that indicates chat capable contacts next to their profile images. Still a mess but they're all still working on it. 

Best regards, 

CLF 

MarioMiguelito
Explorer
Options
Galaxy S21
Well that was a great reply. Thank you for that, it's much appreciated.
CLF
Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Galaxy S21

@MarioMiguelito

Hey,

You are most welcome and thanks for the kind reply.

Both of the apps running rcs up need some improvements from carriers and app developers. It's slowly moving forward.

Have a good one,

CLF 

0 Likes
MarioMiguelito
Explorer
Options
Galaxy S21
As long as it stays connected (when I had a Sprint SIM it would randomly disconnect unbeknownst to me), I am a-ok with it being like it is and will welcome the improvements moving forward. Thanks for the heads-up.
0 Likes
CLF
Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Galaxy S21

@MarioMiguelito

Hey,

Yeah same here.

Next up for us will probably be end to end encryption. They're beta testing with the Google messaging app. If all goes well they'll release it to the public version.

CLF 

Jnyer27
Halo
Options
Galaxy S21
I can't get things working right on my s21, even did a hard reset. Now can't register rcs with Google
CLF
Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Galaxy S21

@Jnyer27

Hey,

If T-mobile is your carrier you shouldn't have any issues connecting to Googles Jibe network.

The link below should take you to the Google website with the option to to remove your phone number and the device associated with it from the Google Jibe network database. Once that's done open the Google Messages app and try turning on the chat services.

I really don't know if this will resolve the issue your having but it might be worth a shot.

Lots of little issues with S21 updates lately and it's difficult to know if it's the operating system, the carriers or the messages app.

https://messages.google.com/disable-chat

Best regards,

CLF 

0 Likes
Jnyer27
Halo
Options
Galaxy S21
Tried that and I get a verification code then after entering it says it can't disable and to contact the carrier. I'll try t-mobile again since I have since done a factory reset... what a mess this is
CLF
Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Galaxy S21

@Jnyer27

Hey,

I'm sorry to hear that didn't help. After five years it's still a mess. I've lowered my expectations. They say by the end of the year there will be significant changes to the way they're implementing rcs up. We'll have to wait and see.

I hope T-mobile tech support can get this up and running for you.

Best regards,

CLF

0 Likes