JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

S21 keeps closing the last app opened?

(Topic created: 09-02-2021 11:30 AM)
Options
Galaxy S21

For at least the last month I noticed that if I had an opened app. I turned off the phone for seconds or minutes. When I look at the phone the app is gone and also is even gone from the recent app screen.

One very common app is the camera or gallery app. Say I take a picture or find a picture in the gallery. I turn off the screen and go to show someone, but by the time I get there the camera or gallery is gone so I have to open it and find the said picture again.

It does not always happen right away, but after a few minutes the last app just seems to go away. Also this seems to only affect the last or currently open app. Other apps do remain in the list.

I do not see any indications of crashes for the app, it just seems to disappear.

10 Replies
SamsungRei
Community Manager
Community Manager
Options
Galaxy S21

I understand how frustrating this is. Have you tried the resolution here? https://us.community.samsung.com/t5/Galaxy-S21/Multiple-Apps-Crashing-on-S21/m-p/1763431https://us.c...

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.

Options
Galaxy S21

Thanks, I just did and will see if it helps the issue. I also cleared cache and force stopped the apps in question. I will update on weather this helps. If it does help, makes me wonder how webview or chrome or any app can affect the main OS and not be malicious to such an extent.

0 Likes
SamsungRei
Community Manager
Community Manager
Options
Galaxy S21

Your welcome. Please let me know if it helps.

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.

0 Likes
Options
Galaxy S21

Unfortunately it did not work, it did make it much worse as now all my apps close. If I open 20 apps, 5 to 10 minutes later my app drawer is completely empty.

It does show that WebView and Chrome can affect core system functionality. Which I find terrifying.

SamsungRei
Community Manager
Community Manager
Options
Galaxy S21

I understand. Have you tried testing the phone in Safe Mode? https://www.samsung.com/us/support/answer/ANS00062983/ Unfortunately, the final step of troubleshooting would be to back up the phone and do a complete factory reset. https://www.samsung.com/us/support/answer/ANS00062029/ I would also recommend installing the 3rd party apps individually rather than automatically restoring them all. If there is still a concern with the apps, I would recommend the phone be serviced to have the software reflashed. This can usually be done at a local uBreakiFix location. https://www.ubreakifix.com/samsung

0 Likes
Options
Galaxy S21

DO NOT USE SAFE MODE!!!

There is a problem where out of same mode it looses the home screen and the app setup and folders making the phone nearly useless. I took me 3 hours to just restore the home and app screens to normal using the restore option. Just don't do it.

I uninstalled updates in WebView as suggested in the other post and the app closures returned to the previous mode with only the last app closing. A stranger part, is that after uninstalling updates I saw WebView go to the older version and was on the phone, but now I can not longer find it in the apps. This is a different issue that I have seen where apps don't show up in the app view.

I can try safe mode, but it does limits apps. Obviously gallery would still work and is a primary problematic app.

I want to avoid a reset. Simply because backup and restore does not really work. It restores pictures, and contacts, but not app data or settings or logins. An issue I found when I first set up my S21.

0 Likes
Options
Galaxy S21

I believe I am closer to a solutions. It seems to be related to the sleeping or deep sleeping apps options. One app that I was using and was closing constantly. I set it to never sleep and it has not had issues since. This is not a full solution as if affects system apps like gallery, but it is a start. But do not try safe mode as it is it's own disaster.

0 Likes
Solution
Options
Galaxy S21

I have found a long term solution or workaround for the issue.

The issue seems to be with deep sleeping apps and other app management.

The installed apps with the issue where set to deep sleep. I set them to never sleep.

System apps cannot deep sleep, but in setting under battery there is an allow background activity switch. It seems that with this switch off these apps are closed by the system.

Not the expected behavior as I want them not to run in background but be ready for when I want them, it seems the system just closes and removes active apps like this.

Since making my changes, the apps in question stopped disappearing. I will try other settings to find better combinations.

SamsungJam
Community Manager
Community Manager
Options
Galaxy S21

Thank you for sharing!