JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

S21 screen color looks washed out on "natural" mode

(Topic created: 03-19-2021 03:56 PM)
userfsdj34qJXF
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S21

I just got the new s21 5g and immediately I noticed that compared to my old s10e, the color looks very washed out on "natural" setting. The "vivid" setting on s21 is too much/saturated (same as the s10e on "vivid"), but on "natural", everything is like on a slight grey scale, maybe the gamma or color saturation is seriously off.

[update] added a photo for illustration. Note especially the Messages and Phone app icons, on s10e they are solid blue and green colors, on s21 they look blue-grey/green-grey. Both phones are on the "natural" mode, same brightness. Resized_20210131_122428.jpeg

Just wondering if anyone else noticed this, or if I got a defective device? Any official Samsung customer support wants to chime in as well?

17 Replies
Psychowboy
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S21

Compared to my previous Sony Xperia Z5 Premium also another blah. 

0 Likes
userKA8qNk6W3D
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S21
I thought it was just me. For the first time ever, I prefer the display on my iPhone, than on my Galaxy. I'm hoping Samsung can fix this with a software update.
CptCrazi
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S21
just got my s21u and it's not as good of a display for colors as my s20u, really muted colors even on vivid mode as well as when viewing the phone at different angles I notice much more color shifting.. no update can fix that... wishing I had opted for the iphone rite now...
userT6UrTCaDOZ
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S21

Ended up here searching for a solution to the grayed out display even on vivid mode. The colors are really washed out compared to my note 9, seems like something is really broken. S21 Ultra

0 Likes
plano-mano
Red Giant
Options
Galaxy S21

submit your issue to samsung members app

0 Likes
userkFe1c6n0eg
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S21

As a graphic designer, I have to agree, the colours are WAY off! I noticed the difference straight away coming from S10 to S21 5G. The natural mode is just so dull and desaturated and the vivid mode is so overly saturated - Far too much to the point I feel like I am tripping! Lol. I hope there will be an update soon, even if Samsung include an advanced setting so that users can set their own saturation, gamma and contrast control.

Psychowboy
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S21

Same problem here on my Samsung S21 Ultra, I just opened a new question earlier, then I found this one. I thought maybe is just me.

So what is it? Defective device, bug or bad construction?

Psychowboy
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S21

Hmm, looks there is another thing. 

If I am watching 4K or 8K videos on YouTube, with some of them the Vivid is not working and switching back to Natural, and getting brighter than the maximum. 

Is that normal? Anyone noticed this?

example: https://youtu.be/LXb3EKWsInQ 

0 Likes