What is this plastic piece?

(Topic created: 07-11-2022 08:44 AM)
JustDewIt
Comet
Options
Galaxy S22

Edit:

It seems to be the 5G mmWave antenna that is for US-based phones only

It looks like a potential button or SIM/SD tray... But I don't know how to reference it for a Google search. And the teardowns I've reviewed completely ignore it.

imageWhat is this plastic piece on the bottom right side of the S22 Ultra?
9 Replies
Solution
LongHiker
Legendary Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Galaxy S22

@JustDewIt It covers the 5G antenna. 

Oxford
Neutron Star
Options
Galaxy S22
It's your cellular antenna.
JustDewIt
Comet
Options
Galaxy S22
So I know that the small slits on the top, and sides were for the antennas, but if what others are saying is true, this is a dedicated 5G antenna wide slit?
0 Likes
JahRasta
Halo
Options
Galaxy S22
I think they said it's the 5G antenna
Geek_DTech
Comet
Options
Galaxy S22
Now I'm curious for when we start receiving the parts for those phones.
JustDewIt
Comet
Options
Galaxy S22
After other comments stating it's dedicated for 5G, I used that info for more research, and it seems to be a dedicated slit for the 5G mmWave for the S22 in the US
Geek_DTech
Comet
Options
Galaxy S22
It's going to be interesting to take the phone apart when it comes in for repair.
JustDewIt
Comet
Options
Galaxy S22
I don't think I'm a fan of the back cover coming off and exposing the cameras. Unless you do it in a clean-room, dust could potentially settle on the lense and cause issues for pictures. This happened to my S20 Ultra after I got water inside and uBreakiFix told me that opening the cameras would possibly affect my pictures... And it did when I would have sun flare on the lense
Geek_DTech
Comet
Options
Galaxy S22
They're correct. Depending on the tech we use gloves to ensure our fingerprints and or dust/debris doesn't get into the camera or internal components of the phone.