Original topic:

S24 Display Quality & AOD Missing Options

(Topic created: 01-26-2024 01:57 PM)
Locoblade
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S24

Hi All

I've just got my S24+ today to upgrade my trusty but ageing S10+ having not strayed from Samsung for almost 10 years. Naturally I was hoping it would be an upgrade in all departments but although on the whole it is, there's several annoying and unexpected downgrades that are making me seriously question whether it's actually worth spending quite a bit of money to change.

Firstly, the screen although pin sharp is really washed out. Even in vivid mode the colours are dull and the blacks are significantly more grey than the S10 screen, and even look washed out when put alongside my wife's budget spec A52! I've played around with brightness and colour tone etc but I can't dial it out, and my cousin who's got an S24 Ultra said exactly the same when comparing it against the S22 it's replacing.

Then there's some bizarre features missing from OneUI 6.1, the ones I've noticed so far are specifically in the Always On Display settings.  I use AOD to display as a bedside clock,  with my S10 and also in OneUI 6.0 / Android 14 on the A52 you can rotate the AOD to landscape orientation and control the brightness, you could even do the latter from the AOD lock screen by tapping twice on the clock to access the brightness slider. In OneUI 6.1 unless I'm missing something it seems all that functionality is missing, the brightness of the AOD is linked to the main screen brightness setting which is far too bright for overnight use, and you can't set it to landscape mode which I'd prefer when on it's horizontal night stand next to the bed. Why this functionality would be omitted I have no idea, but it's really annoying! Please someone enlighten me to some hidden menu somewhere that fixes all these issues?! šŸ™‚

3,236 Replies
Options
Galaxy S24
Whites look incredibly dull. Colors don't look vibrant. Look it up, other people are having the same issues. Why would I want to keep a phone who's screen loolooks worse??? The brightness slider doesn't do anything past 75%is, whereas on the s23 Ultra you could push the brightness even higher. Weird.
Options
Galaxy S24
Same issue. Phone looks awful. Whites are muted.
usert8NLcck6eo
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S24

You can't even change the brightness of the AOD. What the **bleep** is that.

I can't even see it at night.

alphapapaactual
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S24

Did some research this evening.  I belive the problem is the PWM (Pulse Width Modulation). Samsung has changed display and now uses a new type of LTPO screen. I had a oneplus before and has experienced similar issues before. The difference is that Oneplus got it right with their implementation of PWM dimmin by using some clever algoritm for DC dimming. I wish Samsung fixes this but there are known issues with this type of screen... šŸ˜’

0 Likes
SamTheMan44
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S24
I just got my S24 Plus today and the first thing I noticed is that the Vivid mode doesn't seem to be working. Changing from natural to vivid does absolutely nothing to the colors. I've always used vivid on other phones so not having it really makes everything looked washed. I only saw one more post regarding this so I can't tell if this is a software bug or just how the new phones are. I'm really hoping it's a software issue because I literally cannot tell the difference between vivid and natural and that can't be right. Does anyone else have this issue?
userZNnTdcqwZP
Supernova
Options
Galaxy S24
Do you have anti-reflecting screen protector install? If yes, that is the reason.

Without the screen protector, I can see the difference between vivid and natural. Now I have it installed and no (noticable) difference.
0 Likes
SamTheMan44
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S24
Nope no screen protector on mine. Switching between the 2 makes no difference at all.
0 Likes
userZNnTdcqwZP
Supernova
Options
Galaxy S24
The first thing I did when I got the phone was changing from vivid to natural, and I thought I saw the color changes. I might remember it wrong.
0 Likes
SamTheMan44
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S24
That's really odd for me it makes no difference whatever mode I have it in and it looks super washed since I'm used to vivid colors.
X3RX1S
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S24

I have the same issue. I changed it and there actually is a difference its just minuscule. Even when I change some of the advanced RGB settings nothing seems to change. I really hope that they fix this in a future update.

0 Likes