Original topic:

S24 Display Quality & AOD Missing Options

(Topic created: 01-30-2024 04:47 AM)
Locoblade
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S24

Hi All

I've just got my S24+ today to upgrade my trusty but ageing S10+ having not strayed from Samsung for almost 10 years. Naturally I was hoping it would be an upgrade in all departments but although on the whole it is, there's several annoying and unexpected downgrades that are making me seriously question whether it's actually worth spending quite a bit of money to change.

Firstly, the screen although pin sharp is really washed out. Even in vivid mode the colours are dull and the blacks are significantly more grey than the S10 screen, and even look washed out when put alongside my wife's budget spec A52! I've played around with brightness and colour tone etc but I can't dial it out, and my cousin who's got an S24 Ultra said exactly the same when comparing it against the S22 it's replacing.

Then there's some bizarre features missing from OneUI 6.1, the ones I've noticed so far are specifically in the Always On Display settings.  I use AOD to display as a bedside clock,  with my S10 and also in OneUI 6.0 / Android 14 on the A52 you can rotate the AOD to landscape orientation and control the brightness, you could even do the latter from the AOD lock screen by tapping twice on the clock to access the brightness slider. In OneUI 6.1 unless I'm missing something it seems all that functionality is missing, the brightness of the AOD is linked to the main screen brightness setting which is far too bright for overnight use, and you can't set it to landscape mode which I'd prefer when on it's horizontal night stand next to the bed. Why this functionality would be omitted I have no idea, but it's really annoying! Please someone enlighten me to some hidden menu somewhere that fixes all these issues?! šŸ™‚

3,243 Replies
JaiArr
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S24

I'm using my s21u still because the difference is so marginal, I took the screen protector off my new phone because I thought it was somehow dimming it.

If you even look at vivid mode and mess with the rgb scrollers, it doesn't even change any of the tones, it's just the permanent washed outness

0 Likes
userdqZHkOZ5N5
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S24
I also have the same display issue. I always use the natural setting, I prefer it that way. There is a remarkable difference in the color quality when I compare my old S22 Ultra to this S24 Ultra.
The battery drains pretty quickly too. Even with FHD set vs UHD.
The camera is amazing when the surrounding light is dim. I probably need to spend more time playing with the settings.
0 Likes
DKJ_2000
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S24
Is there a fix coming to this, has anyone from Samsung acknowledged this so that people know there is a fix coming or should we consider returning it?
0 Likes
Hungarian
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S24

They did acknowledged the problem and investigating the issue currently. Hopefully they will give us an update soon. Looks like it's happening with majority of people who purchased any S24 model. 

0 Likes
tribeleader1
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S24
S24 ultra, same issues. Washed out dull colors, missing AOD features like clock style. On my s23 Ultra, I got AOD notifications that were the color of the app. Now, they're just 1 matching tone.
0 Likes
userZ09zDbUjn1
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S24
It looks washed out ui. I am planning to return phone
0 Likes
Brho0m13
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S24

The problem they have with Gamma is that they follow Gamma 1.8, far from the SDR reference for phones. Gamma 2.2. I use professional tools for testing, CR-100 and Jeti 1501 Hi Res. I am the first to talk about this problem, but not higher if my voice can be heard. The problem is in Natural and vivid mode.

This is my S24 Ultra test 

https://twitter.com/brho0m13/status/1752246776281584008?t=-vqLkR4KEJi7oHTg25sgLg&s=19

0 Likes
Members_i5GOztu
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S24

Same issue here. S20FE 5G screen has better colors than S24 Ultra. This is dissappointing. There is no difference between vivid and Natural screens. Phone is on AT&T

0 Likes
TEKC
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S24
Seems the new Galaxy S 24ultra Has washed out colors even in vivid mode . Anyone else sees it. I even compared it to my s22ultra and colors are way better. šŸ« 
0 Likes
ItsLtDan
Halo
Options
Galaxy S24
I don't think that's the case because there's no difference between Vivid and natural mode. I think it's a bug within the Vivid option. Just my opinion