Original topic:

S24 Display Quality & AOD Missing Options

(Topic created: 01-24-2024 03:01 PM)
Locoblade
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S24

Hi All

I've just got my S24+ today to upgrade my trusty but ageing S10+ having not strayed from Samsung for almost 10 years. Naturally I was hoping it would be an upgrade in all departments but although on the whole it is, there's several annoying and unexpected downgrades that are making me seriously question whether it's actually worth spending quite a bit of money to change.

Firstly, the screen although pin sharp is really washed out. Even in vivid mode the colours are dull and the blacks are significantly more grey than the S10 screen, and even look washed out when put alongside my wife's budget spec A52! I've played around with brightness and colour tone etc but I can't dial it out, and my cousin who's got an S24 Ultra said exactly the same when comparing it against the S22 it's replacing.

Then there's some bizarre features missing from OneUI 6.1, the ones I've noticed so far are specifically in the Always On Display settings.  I use AOD to display as a bedside clock,  with my S10 and also in OneUI 6.0 / Android 14 on the A52 you can rotate the AOD to landscape orientation and control the brightness, you could even do the latter from the AOD lock screen by tapping twice on the clock to access the brightness slider. In OneUI 6.1 unless I'm missing something it seems all that functionality is missing, the brightness of the AOD is linked to the main screen brightness setting which is far too bright for overnight use, and you can't set it to landscape mode which I'd prefer when on it's horizontal night stand next to the bed. Why this functionality would be omitted I have no idea, but it's really annoying! Please someone enlighten me to some hidden menu somewhere that fixes all these issues?! šŸ™‚

JUMP TO SOLUTION
3,240 Replies
Sam56
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S24
Same problem and it seems like this is one of the most common issue that Samsung hasn't addressed. The display really sucks and its faded out. Hope its not a hardware issue and fixed soon. Otherwise I'll be returning it. I am still using the old phone because I don't wanna bother with transferring everything because I hate the display. Thinking about returning it.
Tidbitty
Supernova
Options
Galaxy S24
It'd a Matted display. Even after the patch I am willing to put money down a lot of people will still not be happy.

Everyone should look at the difference between matte vs Gloss displays or anything in general.
0 Likes
Members_shn3cKM
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S24

I have the same feeling as you. I have Note 20 ultra, and Note 10plus. The display from S24 series is terrible. I got to swift to Iphone is no the issue not fixed by Samsung. Bad feeling, bad experience.

PAHelper
Comet
Options
Galaxy S24

According to tipster Ice Universe, Samsungā€™s next Galaxy S24 series update will introduce a manual slider to adjust the color saturation levels within the Vivid profile settings. The option will be termed ā€œVividness,ā€ and those who are dissatisfied with the default Vivid mode can use it to get the color levels of their choice.

The tipster further claims that if you raise the vividness by one notch using the new option, you will get display colors similar to the Galaxy S23 Ultra. If you raise it by two notches, you should see even brighter colors, similar to the Galaxy S21 Ultra.

MsVirgo87
Sun
Options
Galaxy S24
Well I was just told they're not doing anything about the display
0 Likes
LauraRG
Comet
Options
Galaxy S24
The support teams don't usually know much in regards to development or updates. They are as clueless as any consumer until it's officially announced. It's been circulated quite a lot that they are issuing an update in regards to people being displeased with the screens "vividness." Personally, I have no issues with it.
Options
Galaxy S24
I do and it's not just cause of the vividness it's the dim screen even when brightness is maxed out.

0 Likes
Options
Galaxy S24
Ice is a very reliable source. Chances are Samsung has changed they're mind cause too many people are sending these phones back and Samsung is losing money.
GIL3711
Halo
Options
Galaxy S24
An update will be the decider whether to keep our return. Have both S10+ and S24 Ultra. Using S10+ as it has the more pleasing display.
MsVirgo87
Sun
Options
Galaxy S24
Next update will bring yall vividness
0 Likes