Original topic:

S24 Display Quality & AOD Missing Options

(Topic created: 01-24-2024 03:01 PM)
Locoblade
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S24

Hi All

I've just got my S24+ today to upgrade my trusty but ageing S10+ having not strayed from Samsung for almost 10 years. Naturally I was hoping it would be an upgrade in all departments but although on the whole it is, there's several annoying and unexpected downgrades that are making me seriously question whether it's actually worth spending quite a bit of money to change.

Firstly, the screen although pin sharp is really washed out. Even in vivid mode the colours are dull and the blacks are significantly more grey than the S10 screen, and even look washed out when put alongside my wife's budget spec A52! I've played around with brightness and colour tone etc but I can't dial it out, and my cousin who's got an S24 Ultra said exactly the same when comparing it against the S22 it's replacing.

Then there's some bizarre features missing from OneUI 6.1, the ones I've noticed so far are specifically in the Always On Display settings.  I use AOD to display as a bedside clock,  with my S10 and also in OneUI 6.0 / Android 14 on the A52 you can rotate the AOD to landscape orientation and control the brightness, you could even do the latter from the AOD lock screen by tapping twice on the clock to access the brightness slider. In OneUI 6.1 unless I'm missing something it seems all that functionality is missing, the brightness of the AOD is linked to the main screen brightness setting which is far too bright for overnight use, and you can't set it to landscape mode which I'd prefer when on it's horizontal night stand next to the bed. Why this functionality would be omitted I have no idea, but it's really annoying! Please someone enlighten me to some hidden menu somewhere that fixes all these issues?! šŸ™‚

JUMP TO SOLUTION
3,243 Replies
Robin621k
Honored Contributor
Options
Galaxy S24
For years, YouTubers have been complaining about Samsung panels being over saturated with their color science, me included, they listened.
I have my S23U on Natural and prefer it that way, I also almost never pump up the brightness, I keep it at about 50% unless I am outside. It will take some getting use to.
Hydrobud
Halo
Options
Galaxy S24
Why would blacks look washed out and look like grey because of too much saturation/color science? Seems like a bigger issue than that
MM91
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S24

They didn't fix it. They somehow made it worse. Blacks are now a shade of grey. How does that help anyone? Atleast previously theybhad the natural setting for those who didn't want oversaturation. Now even the vivid setting is more washed out than older phone's natural setting.

Also I am specifically talking about the premium flagship 24 Ultra. S24 and S24+ are still miles better. They have murdered the Ultra display and still make you pay a premium for the budget phone like display.

Edus71
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S24

What about options my friend?

0 Likes
rohitghali
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S24
If you like it, keep it in natural. Vivid is just an option. Don't enable it. We need it. You like it anyway right? There's no place for you here anyway. Please move on.
user642af0chYK
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S24

Omg that worked! Wow! Thank you! 

0 Likes
Edus71
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S24

Again with silly advices!?

Prateek22
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S24
I agree with u :hundred_points:. One UI 6.1 AOD is a joke. Can't do custom anymore. I switched s9 to s22+. Missing notifications led was the biggest disappointment for me. Samsung shouldn't cut back most loving feature in their flagship phones. I hope they will listen the feedback.
0 Likes
MM91
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S24

Isn't it obvious what Samsung are upto. Despite their desperate attempts to position themselves as an Apple alternative,  they are slowly and steadily becoming more Apple like. For all their ads making fun of Apple they seem to be biggest Apple wannabes.

Case in point, the AoD, now seems an exact replica ofvthe iphone AoD with severely limited customization options. Even the phone designs are slightly but surely moving towards iphone.

mrk33
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S24
Yes, every since the s22 when they went to the straight thick edges like Apple. The phones feel clunky and look clunky. I hate the design. The S10+ and S20+ were great, since then downhill. If we wanted a phone that looked like Apple, we'd get one