JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Galaxy Watch 4/5/6 series poor GPS Fix performance

(Topic created: 09-21-2022 12:29 PM)
usertlOcykGzxn
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy Watch

Watch seems to be plagued with problems resolving GPS fix when not tethered to a phone.   I went out for a run, without my phone and it took the watch close to 10 minutes to get a GPS Fix.  This severely limits the functionality of the "Outdoor/Fitness" aspect of the watch.

Is there a planned fix?

JUMP TO SOLUTION
104 Replies
LongHiker
Galactic Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Galaxy Watch

@SoggyWhiteBread In the top photo your watch is able to get a clear GPS signal and therefore records more data points. The blockiness of the bottom picture indicates that the watch couldn't consistently read GPS signals. This can happen if the signal is obscured or weak. 

SoggyWhiteBread
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy Watch
Which makes sense, but it's the exact same path and both days were clear skies -- so is there something else that might be causing that?
0 Likes
randomdude925
Constellation
Options
Galaxy Watch
Hello, I purchased a Galaxy watch 4 back in December 2022 and have always had an awful experience with the GPS sensor. After about four months of owning the watch I installed a software update and lost all ability to GPS fix for over a year, regardless of what apps were installed or how many times I software reset. A few days ago GPS started working again, but it is so inaccurate that it may actually be worse than just not having it. The images below show the results I have been getting.

Run where I ran around for a bit then went on a trail, my watch never recorded the trail at all and still somehow still ended up with more distance measured than I actually did. 

This image shows how jittery the watch is with recording. This one was actually a little over 1 mile, probably 1.1, but my watch guessed 1.29

I ran a mile exclusively on a track, four laps. My watch guessed I went into a neighborhood? IDK, but it said I did 1.44 miles when I did 1 exactly. 

This one is just funny because I started and finished in the same spot on the actual run. My watch says 4.4 but in reality I would be surprised if it was more than 3.75

When I purchased this watch over a Garmin, I was thinking the choice was between great GPS, alright everything else (Garmin) and passable GPS and great everything else (Samsung.) I would not have purchased the watch if I knew I would have no GPS or unacceptably inaccurate GPS depending on the day with Samsung. Very disappointing. 
realaud
Honored Contributor
Options
Galaxy Watch

Have you calibrated the compass in Google Maps? If the compass is miscalibrated, your stats will be incorrect.  If your location data is incorrect on your watch, it should also be incorrect on your phone, since the watch takes its data from the phone settings (only so much room on the watch for its own settings).  Make sure your phone has use precise location on and, seriously, recalibrate the compass (which, actually, should be done periodically).  You can also calibrate the compass on the watch by pulling up the apps screen, scrolling down to compass, clicking on compass, swiping up on the compass and scrolling down.  You will then see the button to calibrate.  If you don't see the compass on your app screen, add it in the wear app, but it should be there unless you removed it.

randomdude925
Constellation
Options
Galaxy Watch
I did not know that was a thing that would help! I hope this works next time I run on Monday! Thanks!
0 Likes